Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Won't Boot [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#31 Shelby68GT500

Shelby68GT500

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

Jeff, I installed XP on both of the HD's in my system and if I select the other drives Xp install to boot, the system boots up without going to safe mode, but just doesn't have all the programs installed like when booted from the other drive.  But, I still do get all the same artifacting in the video and my resolution is stuck at 800x600 and it won't allow me to change it.

Bob

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

I don't think that we are dealing with a malware problem so much as a hardware/software problem at this time.  

You know that Windows XP is no longer supported starting this coming April (2014).  Have you given any thought to what you might want to replace XP with at that time?

Posted Image

#33 Shelby68GT500

Shelby68GT500

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

Jeff, I'd like to let this computer ride into the sunset with what it has in it currently versus purchasing a new OS for a 5 year old computer.  I'd still like to figure out what is wrong with this one, is it possible to move this topic over to the hardware/software problem area to have someone in that group take a look?  I myself am starting to believe that it may be my video card or RAM, but I'm far from the expert, hence my reaching out to pros like you guys on this site...  Let me know your thougts on if this topic can be moved, or if I have to just start over there...

Thanks again for all your assistance!

Regards, Bob

#34 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

I completely understand about wanting to stick with XP until the end.  :)  I am doing the same with the plan afterward (for the systems that still run) moving to Ubuntu Linux.

Anyway....yes you can just go ahead and start a new topic in the Hardware section on your own and see what the techs there have to say.  Be sure to post what the problem is exactly and also post the link to this topic so that they can see what it is we have been doing here as well.  :)

Posted Image

#35 Shelby68GT500

Shelby68GT500

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks Jeff, really appreciate all your help on this.  I'll start up a new topic in the Hardware area and link this conversation.

Regards, Bob

#36 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

You are more than welcome!  If they can not find anything come back and we will see what we can find.  

Posted Image

#37 Shelby68GT500

Shelby68GT500

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Jeff, I've already posted over in the Hardware section (http://forums.whatth...howtopic=127275), so I'm hopeful that I'll hear something.  Do appreciate you offering to look further if I don't hear anything...  I'll let you know!

Regards, Bob

#38 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

Sounds great!!  :)

Posted Image

#39 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.
Posted Image