This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Installed Opera and laptop has been horrible since [Closed]

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I installed what I thought was a legitimate version of Opera a few days ago, and my laptop has been freezing randomly ever since. Can't even do ctrl alt del. I have to shut down and upon rebooting, I get the chkdsk screen. I let this do its thing, but still keep freezing. I have uninstalled Opera, and a couple of programs that seemed to come along with it, based on the dates. I can't seem to uninstall ilivid. I've run avira and malwarebytes. Avira found nothing, malware found two ad bots, but I still have this problem. I can't believe it's a coincidence. I have a Samsung r610 and Windows Vista sp2. I would appreciate any ideas or help.
Add both of these for FireFox if you use it.

AdBlock and NoScript
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/


Turn off browser add-ons


Internet Explorer

1.Select Tools | Manage Add-ons.
- A list of enabled add-ons will appear in the list on the right.
2.Highlight the add-on you wish to disable.
3.At the bottom of the window, click Disable.
4.Click OK.
5.Close all of your open Internet Explorer browser windows.
6.Restart your browser.


Mozilla Firefox
Firefox 4.0 and newer: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7

1.Choose the menu option for your computer:
Select Tools | Add-ons or Extensions, depending on your version.
- The "Add-ons Manager" window opens.
2.Ensure that Extensions is selected.
3.Disable or uninstall any extensions found here.
4.Close and restart your browser.


Google Chrome

Operating systems:
- Windows XP, Vista, and 7
1.Click the wrench icon ( ) the select Settings.
2.At the bottom of the menu that appears, click Show Advanced Settings.
3.In the "Privacy" section, click Content settings.
4.Under "Plug-ins," select Block all.
Note: To customize permissions for specific websites, click Manage exceptions.
5.When you are done, close the "Options - Content Settings" tab or window:
- PC: Click OK to close the window.
6.Close and restart your browser.


Let me know how it's running now.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI