Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firefox can't find the server at........

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Volker

Volker

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

I have an Acer Aspire One Notebook. I have a strong WIFI signal and yet cannot open any browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome) When I pick up an outside unsecured WIFI signal I am able to use my browsers without any problem. I have tried several of the answers listed on different forums as well as reformatting my notebook - still no success. So-using my own WIFI which shows a strong signal I am unable to use the browsers yet when I use another signal there is no problem. If I am connected directly via cable to the internet then I am also able to open the browsers without any problems. What suggestions? Thanks

Edited by Volker, 21 September 2013 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

Hi Volker and welcome to the WTT forums, Sorry to hear about the wi-fi issue on your home network. Its is good that your Internet works correctly when connected wirelessly on a different (unsecured) network but not on your home network. I think the first thing to do is to: 1 power cycle your modem /router and then close down your computer, and restart it after 2 minutes.... see if there is any connection 2 If there is still no connection then enter the router/Wireless Access Point set up page and remove on a temporary basis the encryption that is being used (WPA2 ,WPA, WEP etc ) so the wif-fi is not secured... Try a short test...do you now have a good Internet connection? Post back with exact make and model number of your Acer, your modem/router/wireless Access Point... if you need more detailed instructions on a particular part of any of these suggestions. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate