This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Re-Direction [Solved]

19 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

[external image: Posted Image]

Run OTL.exe
  • Copy/paste the following text written inside of the code box into the Custom Scans/Fixes box located at the bottom of OTL

    :Services

    :Files
    ipconfig /flushdns /c
    C:\Users\Guy\Desktop\Downloads\lnl\larry_williams_downloader_99116.exe
    C:\Users\Guy\Desktop\Downloads\SoftonicDownloader_for_kmplayer.exe
    C:\Users\Guy\Desktop\Downloads\vlcmediaplayer-setup(1).exe
    C:\Users\Guy\Desktop\Downloads\vlcmediaplayer-setup.exe

    :Commands
    [emptytemp]
    [resethosts]
    [start explorer]
    [Reboot]

  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot when it is done
  • Then run a new scan and post a new OTL log ( don't check the boxes beside LOP Check or Purity this time )

Post the new OTL log and let me know what remaining malware related problems you are having. :)
I have included 2 logs. The first one is after the copy/paste you asked me to do. I ran it as administrator and the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity WERE NOT checked. I wasn't sure whether they were to be checked or not. The 2nd log (that has a 1 in it's name) is the 2nd scan per the instructions. As far as malware goes……………. well this is interesting. Just as I was about to tell you all has been fine except for 1 Toshiba pop up earlier today, I just got another Toshiba popup. It looks like a homepage for Toshiba with different types of news stories on it - kind of like MSN.com. I've never done this before but after running the last scan I timed the re-boot. It was 1:15 mins from telling it to restart to when my log in screen came up. The it was 3:55 mins from entering my password until Firefox finally loaded. I have no idea what "average" is but the 2nd number seems like a long time. Can you give me your thoughts please?
Hi, That last OTL log looks pretty good. I would not worry about the Toshiba popup as this is a Toshiba system correct? In regards to malware though your system looks good.
I'm very happy about the lack of malware. Thank you very much for your help with that. Yes, it is a Toshiba machine but I don't ever remember seeing this popup before is why I mentioned it. What do you think about the start up times?
Please download the tool found here and then run it. This will give you some suggestions on programs that do not need to run on startup and this will allow you to stop them. Give it a run and see if the start-up time improves.
Thanks for that. I already had that program but ran it anyway and removed the Java update notification. That shaved 10 seconds off getting to the password and 33 seconds getting a browser loaded after entering the password which now takes about 3 and a half minutes. Unless you have any other suggestions for speeding up the start up I'd like to thank you for all of your help getting this thing back in shape.
You are more than welcome. You might start up a new topic in the Windows forum here at What the Tech and see what they have to say. The techs there are very good and may have some more ideas than I. If you decide to do this let me know and I will keep this topic open until you return from them and then we can clean up our tools.
I have started a thread at the Windows forum on another matter that has not been responded to yet. When we finish that one I will ask about the slow start up we've been discussing on the laptop and get back to you. I guess it could be a week or so depending on the response times. Is that ok to leave this open that long and is there a good way to let you know when I'm back on this thread. I saw something about PMing you but I'm not sure how to do that if that's what you want me to do.
Yes we can leave this open of course. :) A PM is a private message which, if you go to my profile here, you can see where is says under my picture, Send a Message.
I am getting nowhere fast with the Windows forum. Started a thread over a week ago and then posted to the "what to do if no response after 3 days" thread. Have not heard a word from either. Left a PM for you and to my knowledge have not heard from you either. Don't know what to do at this point.
Hi, Sorry I have been in and out with a family member in the hospital so let me see what I can get done to have someone look at your topic in the other forum.
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope things will work out for them. No need to do that, I did get a response and I have a lot of work to do it looks like. Thanks and I'll get back to you at some point.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI