This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Re-Direction [Solved]

19 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I'm hoping you can help. About every 4th or 5th link I click on I get redirected to the same 2 or 3 websites, or if I have a browser open an advertisement video will start playing all of a sudden. I have scanned my system with Spybot and Malwarebytes. It finds stuff but not to correct this issue. I have McAfee for my antivirus. This is on my Toshiba Satellite P755 laptop which is running Windows 7. I normally use Firefox. Please let me know what other information you need and if you have a better scanner that I can run. Thanks, Guy p.s. The log is attached
Hi and Welcome!!

My name is Jeff. I would be more than happy to take a look at your malware results logs and help you with solving any malware problems you might have. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and know that I am working hard to get you a clean and functional system back in your hands. I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • If you happen to have a flash drive/thumb drive please have that ready in the event that we need to use it.
  • Please be sure to subscribe to the topic if you have not already done so.
IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete, download or install anything unless instructed to do so.
DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision. Doing so could make your system inoperable and could require a full reinstall of your operating system and losing all your programs and data.


Having said that…. [external image: Posted Image] Let's get going!!
β€”β€”β€”-

[external image: Posted Image] Please download aswMBR to your desktop.

  • Double click the aswMBR icon to run it.
  • Click the Scan button to start scan.
  • If you are asked to update the Avast Virus database please allow it to do so.
  • When it finishes, press the save log button, save the logfile to your desktop and post its contents in your next reply.
β€”β€”β€”-

[external image: Posted Image] AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Delete.
  • A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[R1].txt as well.
β€”β€”β€”-
Hi Jeff, Thanks for helping me and looking forward to working with you. I'm currently downloading aswMBR but when I tried to download AdwCleaner McAfee popped up and said don't do it because that file is loaded with spyware, malware, and viruses. Is that normal and should I proceed anyway?
Please proceed with the download. It is not spyware, but sometimes the ways that our tools function they might resemble what a virus/malware might act like. When you get both of those logs please post them up and we will go from there. :)
Hi,

Well done….before we start cleaning I would like to get one more scan.

[external image: Posted Image] Please download TDSSKiller
  • Double click TDSSKiller.exe
  • Press Start Scan but do nothing else as we are just looking for what is there.
  • If Malicious objects are found, select Skip by changing the Cure dropdown in the upper right.
  • Attach the log in your next reply
  • A copy of the log will be saved automatically to the root of the drive (typically C:\)
β€”β€”β€”-
Wow, that only took 56 seconds. It didn't find anything. There was a log but I couldn't figure out how to save it though but it said no problems.
Hi,

Yeah that one is pretty quick to complete. :) Thanks for letting me know the results.

ComboFix

Download Combofix from either of the links below, and save it to your desktop.
Link 1
Link 2

**Note: It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
If you get a message saying "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion", please restart your computer.


——————————————————————–

IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here

——————————————————————–

Right-Click and Run as Administrator on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt for further review.
I am so sorry for taking so long. I was waiting all day for your response (or so I thought). I restarted my computer last night but didn't open your website - I thought I'd just wait for the e-mail that you had responded and then I'd open it up. Well, I didn't receive an e-mail this time. So I just found your reply from early this morning. That won't happen again. Anyway the log is attached.
Hi, No I didn't get anything about your ComboFix log. Must have been something going on with the forum. It happens sometimes. :) Looking better….how is your system behaving?
Unfortunately, I'm still having the re-direction problem (but it seems to a lesser extent) and ad videos playing unexpectedly when I have a Firefox browser open. I have gone into Firefox and told it to block popups previously. I didn't know we had deleted anything to this point - I thought we had just run scans. Where do we stand with that?
Hi,

Yeah we had removed a few things but must be missing something someplace.

[external image: Posted Image] Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

[external image: Posted Image]
  • Download OTL to your desktop.
  • Right-click and Run as Administrator on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt.
    Note:These logs can be located in the OTL. folder on you C:\ drive if they fail to open automatically.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them both in.
β€”β€”β€”-
And here are the OTL logs. One thing I keep forgetting to mention is when I re-start my laptop it takes a very long time to boot up completely. I have been into the start menu to take unnecessary stuff out to try to speed it up. Can you help with that as well after we finish this phase up please.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI