Download the tool found here to your Desktop so it is easy to find.
Double click on the file you just downloaded to install it to your system.
Once the tool is installed, double-click on the Tweaking.com Registry Backup icon **Note** The tool should automatically open to the Backup Registry tab.
[external image: Posted Image]
Press Backup Now
When the back up is complete, the tool will tell you that Successful */* Files Backed Up
You have now successfully backed up your Registry.
[external image: Posted Image]
Run OTL.exe
Copy/paste the following text written inside of the code box into the Custom Scans/Fixes box located at the bottom of OTL
The latest OTL log is attached. I'll play around with it and let you know tomorrow how things are going. I have to do some things tonight. Ooops, when trying to upload this file it tells me I'm not allowed to upload this type of file. Let me know what to do.
It seems much better in terms of re-directs and playing the advertising videos but I'd like to test it some more if that's ok.
Is there anything you can do about the slow start up?
Let's be sure of the redirects and all of that is cleared up first. We can come back to the slow startup.
Let me know how it is running when you work with your system a bit.
Ok good….let's get some updates and check for anything else hiding in there….
[external image: Posted Image]JavaJava
Please go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > uninstall all the Java Programs you see, now download the latest Java from the following link and install it:
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
———-
[external image: Posted Image]Java
See this page for instructions on how to clear java's cache.
Go into the Control Panel and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 Checked
Downloaded Applets
Downloaded Applications
Installed Applications and Applets
Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
———-
[external image: Posted Image]Malwarebytes
Please open Malwarebytes, update it and then run a Quick Scan. Save the log that is created for your next reply.
———-
ESET Online Scanner
Go here to run an online scannner from ESET. Windows Vista/Windows 7 users will need to right click on their Internet Explorer shortcut, and select Run as Administrator
Note:For browsers other than Internet Explorer, you will be prompted to download and install esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe. Click on the link and save the file to a convenient location. Double click on it to install and a new window will open. Follow the prompts.
Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
Click Start
When asked, allow the activex control to install
Click Start
Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
Click Scan
Wait for the scan to finish
When the scan is done, if it shows a screen that says "Threats found!", then click "List of found threats", and then click "Export to text file…"
Save that text file on your desktop. Copy and paste the contents of that log as a reply to this topic.
Close the ESET online scan, and let me know how things are now.
Attached is the Malwarebytes log.
I ran the ESET (nearly 12 hours, wow) and it found 4 threats and I have the log but it won't save it to my desktop, or anywhere else for that matter. I tried copy/paste but that wouldn't work either. One thing I don't understand is in the instructions is we "unchecked" the "remove found threats". How do we get rid of these 4 items? And, how do I get the log to you?
Hi,
We don't have ESET remove anything without seeing it first so that it does not accidentally remove something that may not be exactly bad. Sometimes it will detect something that has a similar action as malware but is not actually malware.
Do you still have the page open by chance? You could just type them into the reply if you can't get them copied for whatever reason.
OK, I'll type it.
C:\Users\Guy\Desktop\Downloads\lnl\larry_williams_downloader_99116.exe a variant of Win32/YourFile Downloader.B application
C:\Users\Guy\Desktop\Downloads\SoftonicDownloader_for_kmplayer.exe Win32/SoftonicDownloader.D.application
C:\Users\Guy\Desktop\Downloads\vlcmediaplayer-setup(1).exe multiple threats
C:\Users\Guy\Desktop\Downloads\vlcmediaplayer-setup.exe multiple threats
FYI, I have no problem deleting any of these.