Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Machine freezes using IE or Outlook

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JulieH

JulieH

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

Hello - thank you in advance for your help. I have a Dell precision laptop - 64bit that freezes when launching either IE or Outlook. I can use Chrome with no problem. HiJackThis log file attached.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hi JulieH

Sorry to hear of the problem with your IE and your MS Office Outlook.

Let's try and figure out what is going on with IE to start off with.

Have you tried resetting IE?

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>reset>OK then close IE, wait a few seconds and then open it again? any better?

If you can't see the menu at the top of the Internet Explorer window ie File Edit Favorites Tools Help.... then push the Alt key.

Regards

paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 JulieH

JulieH

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Before you responded I had already uninstalled IE 10 and it seemed to help. But still having problems logging off|shutting down. The system just hangs. After doing a little research it seems that McAfee may be the culprit. Any ideas? Thanks

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hi JulieH. A useful diagnostic procedure is to boot into safe mode from a cold start (tap F8 once per second and select "safe mode" Only a minimum set of drivers will be loaded so your screen may look a little peculiar! You wont have Internet access in safe mode so just spend a short time looking at a few pictures or documents on your machine...... when you have given it a little "exercise" shut it down in the normal way (a full shutdown, not a sleep. hibernate etc....) does it still hang on shutting down....? If it shuts down reasonable cleanly in safe mode, but not in normal mode then its valuable information...... and will help us to indicate the next steps to be taken. Post back with how it reacts to shutting down in safe mode. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 JulieH

JulieH

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

Hi, Pictures ok, excel got error "The setup controller has encountered a problem during install. Please review the log files for further information on the error" Once I got out of the application I was able to shutdown with no issues. Thanks

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hi JulieH It looks like something that is loading in normal mode but not in safe mode is causing the shutdown...... (I take it that when you try to shutdown in normal mode you are doing a full shutdown .......not a sleep/hibernate etc...?) If this is the case then we can try and find the culprit by not running certain "start up" items via MSCONFIG.... post back if you need directions on how to do that. Regards paws