This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Help... I see Red Lines!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a Hewlett-Packard, HP EliteBook 3930p, Model#: AP609US notebook computer. On a really hot, humid day I had it in a house that did not have AC and is near the water, so it is even more humid than normal. It was on hibernate and was gone for the day (idiot, I know). :huh: When I came back and used my finger to swipe/logon, the screen came up all red, then when it went back to blue it still had some redish… so, I did a reboot. Then it stayed with these red lines on the screen… then it started to flicker, so I shut it down, took it home (my house is less humid, but it has still been really hot and humid and at the time I had no AC). I put it in a large bag on a bed of rice (Itiltttii was told to do that by someone at the help desk where I work). I left it there for days… maybe even a week. I turned it on today, it still has the red windows screen (instead of blue); then it show the regular blue screen (wheer I choose the user), but it still has reddish along the top. Then when I login, it works fine, but has red lines (and obviously the color is off because of the red lines). Did I fry my graphic card? or is there something else, more going on? Any reccomendations? Is it really bad if I keep using it this way (as long as I keep it out of the heat? (I finally have AC) Thank you for your time and help. dlingley
Hi dlingley and welcome to the WTT forums, sorry to hear about the red tint problem with your laptop computer. As a first step try connecting your computer to an external VDU and see if the redness remains (if it does, then it's likely the video chip at fault…if it goes away when driving the external VDU then its likely the actual LCD or its connectors that is at fault. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI