This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Virus: White Smoke Toolbar (aka WhiteSmoke) [Solved]

41 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello fbfbfb,

Thank you for all of your assistance! :clap:

I shall attend to the final list.

A couple of final Q,

1- WRT: Turn On Automatic Updates
I HAVE seen another update be completed since we had turned OFF the automatic. So this means that the two that HAD been causing a prob, are now resolved?

2- During this process, I had lost use of a dictionary by simply answering their questions incorrectly. Can I now use system restore to go back BEFORE this problem occurred, in order to REgain use of that app? (i.e. pre- May 5 2013)
You are welcome, peteinmaine. Glad we were able to help you restore your computer's functionality. In answer to your questions . . . .

I HAVE seen another update be completed since we had turned OFF the automatic. So this means that the two that HAD been causing a prob, are now resolved?

No, not necessarily, although there could always be the possibility that somehow the issue has been resolved as the new update downloaded. You could check by going back to unhide the two problematic updates, turn on Automatic Updates, and reboot your computer to see if those updates still want to download. If they are still there, you will need to rehide them again. As explained earlier, Microsoft does not have a fix for this problem.

During this process, I had lost use of a dictionary by simply answering their questions incorrectly. Can I now use system restore to go back BEFORE this problem occurred, in order to REgain use of that app? (i.e. pre- May 5 2013)

I am unclear to your references "during this process" and "BEFORE this problem occurred." Do you mean you lost your dictionary during the new update? when you were first infected? during our attempt to clean your system? We addressed the issue of System Restore earlier (Post 23), so this would not be an option. In addition, OTL removed any current restore points and a new restore point was created. You mentioned this is an app – your best and safest option would be to redownload it.

Anything else, peteinmaine?
Hello fbfbfb,

Thank you for your info W/RT the two problematic updates. I shall leave things as they are & follow through with msg #45

Ref: "During this process . . . "
To be more clear, while we were clearing up the WhiteSmoke virus, I lost my dictionary due to answering a question of theirs incorrectly. In order to regain the dictionary, I would need to do System Restore to a date earlier than when I got the virus. However, as you point out, this is not possible since OTL removed any current restore points. i.e. this app stores info on my machine that I have answered their question incorrectly & therefore I can no longer use their app. Uninstalling the app does not remove all traces of its use. :( Also, redownloading it will also not remove any traces of its use from my machine, not change the status showing that I am no longer allowed to use the app.

Cheers,
peteinmaine
Hello, peteinmaine.

A review of your issue indicates that loss of your dictionary program is not malware related, but rather a licensing restriction placed on the application by WordWeb Software.

You can read complete details of these restrictions HERE and HERE.

We are always very pleased to assist our User’s with any number of computer related issues; however, we cannot engage in the unethical practice of helping to bypass a software’s licensing agreement.

Even if we could eliminate all traces of your WordWeb app, redownloading this program is probably not possible as it is highly likely that the software company has recorded your IP address, and it will be aware of any new attempts to download the app.

Since you no longer qualify to access WordWeb, it is best to look for similar programs that will suit your needs. Perhaps, these two may be of interest to you.

http://www.sequencepublishing.com/thesage.html
http://artha.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Home

If you have no further questions, we will proceed to mark your thread resolved. Thank you for connecting with WhattheTech Forums.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI