Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome Guest to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

We specialize in the removal of malicious software (malware), but here you'll find free help and support for all your tech questions. We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. Explore our message boards, or register now to post messages of your own. Please Start Here. Register today (registration removes advertising)

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

How make clean install of Windows 8 without bloat-ware?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 white-k

white-k

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

I recently bought a new Lenovo W530 Laptop from USA. It comes with a Windows 8 Pro x64, license but it was downgraded to Windows 7 when I received it. It comes with Windows 8 Recovery-discs which I have used to get it back to Windows 8. However, when using the recovery-discs I get a lot of bloat-ware installed and I'm guessing some hidden partitions as well (It all takes 50GB on my harddrive). What I want is to make a perfectly clean install of only Windows 8 without the bloat-stuff. As far as I've read the product-key is already "installed" in the Bios on machines with Win8 pre-installed? And I read somewhere I need an ISO-file with a clean Windows 8 Pro x64, but where can I find this? I'm really eager to use my new computer but it is no fun until I've made a clean install. :unsure: Can you guys guide me through how to do that?

Advertisement

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

I need an ISO-file with a clean Windows 8 Pro x64, but where can I find this?

As far as legal goes, I don't think you will find it but you could try this:

If you would like to reinstall Windows 8, which means removing apps and personal files and settings, you can use reset and refresh. This is equivalent to a clean install.

To do it, do the following:

Press Windows key + i on your keyboard to show the Charms bar (If you are using a touchscreen: Touch the right edge of your screen and swipe your finger to the left)

· Click Settings

· Click Change PC settings

· Click General in the left column

· Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be provided on the screen to reinstall Windows on your PC.
----------------------------------------------

Alternatively, so that you don't loose any files, apps. or settings, there is no big problem with simply removing the bloatware. Leaving the essential programs installed, you can clean up any computer until it squeaks :)

For a Lenovo W530 Laptop. you could start with these:

corel DVD stuff
norton av trial version (install the free MSE antivirus)
google toolbar
lenovo simple tap
lenovo message center
most manufacturer-specific Software

The PC Decrapifier is not perfect but will point you to most software you don't want or need. Anything your not sure of, just google it to find out exactly what it is and does.

Edited by Lee, 13 April 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#3 white-k

white-k

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Good advice. But will these methods work to also get rid of the hidden partitions? I have not installed anything at all yet, and my hard-drive is already 50GB used. I read that one thing is some kind of hidden restoration-partition by Lenovo.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,025 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Post a screen capture of a full screen Disk Management window. Also, since you don;t have a Windows 8 install DVD or manufacturers Recovery DVD, why would you want to wipe out the only way you currently have of restoring your computer? I can see doing it if you have an alternate means of recovery but as of now, you don't.

#5 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

The hidden partition contains an ISO mirror image of W8 as it was set-up when new. In an emergency if your W8 operating system ever goes completely pear-shaped, the recovery partition can be activated by tapping F11 as soon as you turn the computer on. When loaded the Recovery Utility will display a menu with several repair options including the Lenovo Product Recovery option (back to the way it was when you bought it). This option is often used when computers are sold second-hand.

The last thing you want to mess with is this hidden recovery partition. Hidden for very good reasons :)

As far as I've read the product-key is already "installed" in the Bios on machines with Win8 pre-installed?

The product-key number is not contained in the BIOS. If you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position of to having to re-install W8 because the recovery partition has been damaged or removed, you better make sure you have the $$$ to buy a W8 DVD with product-key :o

I'm really eager to use my new computer but it is no fun until I've made a clean install.

Enjoy your new computer anyway you want, but messing with the operating system files or the recovery partition will bring tears (not tears of joy either) :(

If you still want to make any changes, please return to my post #2.

PS added info:
Choosing the Remove Everything tool has two options: 1. Just Remove My Files (basically a factory restore using recovery partition W8 files) or 2. Fully Clean the Drive which completely erases your copy of Windows, your programs, your apps, and all your files. In other words, the program wipes your computer completely clean. Then Windows 8 magically auto-reinstalls itself, leaving you with a working computer, but without your programs, your files, or even your user account.
This is a great new feature for those wanting an auto "clean install" from option 2, but you will need a W8 DVD for that option and a product key which is usually on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop (a long string of numbers and letters) or the new one that came with the W8 DVD.

Edited by Lee, 14 April 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,025 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Actually, on new Win 8 computers with UEFI, the product key is embedded and you never have to enter it if you reinstall.

#7 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

Actually, on new Win 8 computers with UEFI, the product key is embedded and you never have to enter it if you reinstall.

Apart from the UEFI firmware, If the factory partition is scrubbed, a W8 DVD would still be needed.
As far as I know, a new windows W8 upgrade download will only be possible if another Windows OS is already on the computer(?)

PS Note:

UEFI specific mobos (very few at the moment) are needed for UEFI firmware to work, which restricts the choice of motherboard in a desktop (and some new laptops don't use them anyway, so the UEFI switch is set to "off" by default with no installed product key). I don't know what motherboard is used in the laptop in question here, but I have just found out that it does have a "UEFI Settings" switch in the BIOS so I assume it has this firmware feature. UEFI is also restricted to 64bit as well, so that leaves out my laptop :lol:

Edited by Lee, 15 April 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#8 white-k

white-k

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

@Lee: Yes, the product-key should indeed be embedded on computers that come pre-installed with Wndows 8 (which is true in my case, although it was downgraded). On machines with Windows 8 there are no longer any stickers with the product-key (also true in my case). @Ztruker: As stated in my first post: "It comes with Windows 8 Recovery-discs which I have used to get it back to Windows 8." - Hence I DO have the recovery-discs. I want to make a clean install without bloat or hidden partitions. Then I will make my own means of recovery using 'True Image' or similar solutions. @Lee: If 'Fully clean the drive' requires a Windows 8 installations DVD, then I guess that won't be possible for me since I only have a set of recovery-discs? If so I'm still in need of a solution... :scratch:

#9 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

. I want to make a clean install without bloat or hidden partitions. Then I will make my own means of recovery using 'True Image' or similar solutions.

@Lee: If 'Fully clean the drive' requires a Windows 8 installations DVD, then I guess that won't be possible for me since I only have a set of recovery-discs?
If so I'm still in need of a solution... :scratch:

A solution to do a complete (clean) re-install of W8 and scrub the recovery partiton?

Instructions on how to scrub the recovery partition and the whole drive I can provide (I did it on my laptop and have the OS backed up with an ISO on a USB drive and on a D: partition on the laptop's hard-drive. The D: partition I created after making a C: partition of 60GB to install W8 on. However, I bought a W8 pro DVD to do a clean install.

Recovery disks are to restore to "factory state", which is on the hidden partition you want to get rid of.

I'm still in need of a solution... headscratch.gif

Considering the size of today's hard-drives (even the mid-range model of your laptop has a 500GB hard-drive), I'm totally perplexed as to why you want to remove the (relatively) tiny recovery partition(?) I removed mine because it had Vista on it and was no future use to me.

However, if a clean install is what you want after removing the recovery partition, buy a W8 pro DVD or alternatively, just remove the bloatware and leave the recovery partition intact. Something I regularly do for clients which I don't mind doing.

Edited by Lee, 15 April 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

I think as Lee said, you have two options. Scrub the existing install removing everything you don't want. Like you, I find this very unsatisfactory.

Beg, borrow or steal ... er ... borrow a Windows 8 install DVD or downloaded .iso from a friend and use it to do the clean, crapware free install you want. As long as the .iso is the same version you have on the recovery discs then it will work.

Advertisement

Register to Remove

#11 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

One option you can use if you really want to delete the recovery partition, is to backup it up to a USB drive.

How To Delete Recovery Partition In Windows 8

#12 white-k

white-k

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Ok, so I finally decided to download an ISO from the web and checked the hash and it was correct. I did a test-install and guess what, it seems to work fine! Yaaay!!! :woot: Seems like the embedded product-key (in my laptop) worked fine and it says my windows is activated. So now I am about to do a proper clean re-install. I generally prefer to have my computer as "clean" as possible without extra stuff. But with that being said, is there some of the following partitions that it is vital that I keep?: Name: Total size: Free space: Type: Drive 0 Partition 1: WINRE_DRV 1000.0 MB 334.0 MB Recovery Drive 0 Partition 2: SYSTEM_DRV 260.0MB 204.0 MB System Drive 0 Partition 3: 128.0MB 128.0 MB MSR (Reserved) Drive 0 Partition 4: Windows8_OS 449.9 GB 382.1 GB Primary Drive 0 Partition 5: Lenovo_Recovery 19.5 GB 11.7 GB Recovery ...or can I just delete/format them all?

#13 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

What is the link to the W8 ISO you downloaded? Apart from partition 5 (main recovery partition) and 4 which is the partition you have W8 on, the other partitions only take up 666MB (1024=1GB) of your 500GB hard-drive. I recognize your MBR (master boot record) as Partition 3 (reserved). As to partitions 1. and 2. I have no exact idea except that 1. seems to be something to do with recovery. If you don't need or really don't want any of these partitions, you can wipe them completely and try a clean install with a new MBR. I just hope none of them have anything to do with the embedded product-key, because if they do and they are wiped without knowing the product-key in advance, there is no way home :(

Edited by Lee, 16 April 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#14 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Please DO NOT post the link to the iso you downloaded. It is strictly against the WTT TOU (Terms Of Use) to do so.

#15 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Please DO NOT post the link to the iso you downloaded. It is strictly against the WTT TOU (Terms Of Use) to do so.

Thanks Rich. I think I get the picture.

Advertisement

Register to Remove