This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

external hard drive seen as local disk

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys..hopefully you can help..I recently Purchased a Apacer 1tb external hard drive. I renamed the hard drive 'bleak'. Now for some Or other reason it dosent display that name Anymore and is seen as 'local disk'. In disk Management however it is still seen as 'bleak' But in my computer is seen as local disk. In Other computers it displays it as 'bleak' so the Problem is only on my own pc.. Hard drive works Fine and all scanned it for viruses there are none. I'm using a acer motherboard 3.06 ghz processor 3 gig ddr2 ram. Operating on windows 7. Tx ahead …bleak
Try right clicking on the drive under your My Computer, and select Rename, give it the name you want, then just click in any open space to close the edit, I can't say it will stay like that once removed and put back again, but it will certainly work while attached, my hope is it will keep that after removal, but it can't hurt to try, hope it helps.

Try right clicking on the drive under your My Computer, and select Rename, give it the name you want, then just click in any open space to close the edit, I can't say it will stay like that once removed and put back again, but it will certainly work while attached, my hope is it will keep that after removal, but it can't hurt to try, hope it helps.




Hi Guy tx 4 the response. If I right click and rename
Under my computer .once I applied it ,it still says local disk
But whatever name I changed it to will be seen as the drive name
Under disk management. But under my computer still
Says local disk. I will also mention we have 3 pcs at work
And the name is displayed under my computer on 2 of them
But on the other one and my pc at home says local disk.
What I find weird is it did display the name a few days on
My own pc when I 1st changed it. Further help will be appreciated.
OK never come across this before, so am working in the dark, I have had a look and found the following direction:-

Open the Control Panel, then Admin Tools - Disk Management - Computer Management
Right click on the affected drive and choose "Change drive letter and paths"
Now choose "Remove"
Wait for 30 seconds and right click on it again, and select "Add" to regain the original drive letter.

I have just done this on a raid0 set in my own system without issue, it is suggested that after doing that it will behave again, but I have no way to know if it will actually resolve your problem, but can't hurt to try, needless to say repeat my previous reply after doing this, then fingers crossed.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI