This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Slow Computer [Solved]

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yes, just want to make sure the folder you saved that info to is not targeted, I don't want you to loose any files…OK If it's OK, go ahead and run Delete. MrC
# Running from : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\adwcleaner.exe # Option [Delete] ***** [Services] ***** ***** [Files / Folders] ***** Deleted on reboot : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\Save File Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\eBay.lnk Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ask Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\InstallMate Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\hpygo9rp.default\extensions\{C9B68337-E93A-44EA-94DC-CB300EC06444} Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\yourfiledownloader Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files\Iminent ***** [Registry] ***** Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\1ClickDownload Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\APN PIP Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Conduit Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\Wajam Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\PIP Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Softonic Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{09C554C3-109B-483C-A06B-F14172F1A947} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{02054E11-5113-4BE3-8153-AA8DFB5D3761} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{021B4049-F57D-4565-A693-FD3B04786BFA} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{0362AA09-808D-48E9-B360-FB51A8CBCE09} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{06844020-CD0B-3D3D-A7FE-371153013E49} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{0ADC01BB-303B-3F8E-93DA-12C140E85460} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{10D3722F-23E6-3901-B6C1-FF6567121920} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{1675E62B-F911-3B7B-A046-EB57261212F3} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{192929F2-9273-3894-91B0-F54671C4C861} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{2932897E-3036-43D9-8A64-B06447992065} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{2DE92D29-A042-3C37-BFF8-07C7D8893EFA} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{32B80AD6-1214-45F4-994E-78A5D482C000} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{3A8E103F-B2B7-3BEF-B3B0-88E29B2420E4} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{478CE5D3-D38E-3FFE-8DBE-8C4A0F1C4D8D} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{48B7DA4E-69ED-39E3-BAD5-3E3EFF22CFB0} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{5982F405-44E4-3BBB-BAC4-CF8141CBBC5C} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{5D8C3CC3-3C05-38A1-B244-924A23115FE9} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{641593AF-D9FD-30F7-B783-36E16F7A2E08} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{711FC48A-1356-3932-94D8-A8B733DBC7E4} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{72227B7F-1F02-3560-95F5-592E68BACC0C} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{7B5E8CE3-4722-4C0E-A236-A6FF731BEF37} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{890D4F59-5ED0-3CB4-8E0E-74A5A86E7ED0} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{8C68913C-AC3C-4494-8B9C-984D87C85003} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{8D019513-083F-4AA5-933F-7D43A6DA82C4} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{923F6FB8-A390-370E-A0D2-DD505432481D} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{9BBB26EF-B178-35D6-9D3D-B485F4279FE5} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{A62DDBE0-8D2A-339A-B089-8CBCC5CD322A} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{A82AD04D-0B8E-3A49-947B-6A69A8A9C96D} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{ADEB3CC9-A05D-4FCC-BD09-9025456AA3EA} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{B06D4521-D09C-3F41-8E39-9D784CCA2A75} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{C06DAD42-6F39-4CE1-83CC-9A8B9105E556} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{C2E799D0-43A5-3477-8A98-FC5F3677F35C} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{D16107CD-2AD5-46A8-BA59-303B7C32C500} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{D25B101F-8188-3B43-9D85-201F372BC205} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{D2BA7595-5E44-3F1E-880F-03B3139FA5ED} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{D35F5C81-17D9-3E1C-A1FC-4472542E1D25} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{D8FA96CA-B250-312C-AF34-4FF1DD72589D} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{DAFC1E63-3359-416D-9BC2-E7DCA6F7B0F3} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{DC5E5C44-80FD-3697-9E65-9F286D92F3E7} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{E1B4C9DE-D741-385F-981E-6745FACE6F01} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{E7B623F5-9715-3F9F-A671-D1485A39F8A2} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{ED916A7B-7C68-3198-B87D-2DABC30A5587} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{EFA1BDB2-BB3D-3D9A-8EB5-D0D22E0F64F4} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{F4CBF4DD-F8FE-35BA-BB7E-68304DAAB70B} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{FC32005D-E27C-32E0-ADFA-152F598B75E7} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Prod.cap Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{2BF2028E-3F3C-4C05-AB45-B2F1DCFE0759} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{DB538320-D3C5-433C-BCA9-C4081A054FCF} Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\Conduit Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{0AF350D9-3916-454B-AC53-0B0B65F41301} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{628F3201-34D0-49C0-BB9A-82A26AEFB291} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{68B81CCD-A80C-4060-8947-5AE69ED01199} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{E6B969FB-6D33-48D2-9061-8BBD4899EB08} Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\IMBoosterARP Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\0238BBE24EA3A70408B81E4BB89C15E5 Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\0FF2AEFF45EEA0A48A4B33C1973B6094 Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\29799DE249E7DBC459FC6C8F07EB8375 Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\305B09CE8C53A214DB58887F62F25536 Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SearchTheWebARP Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\PIP ***** [Internet Browsers] ***** -\\ Internet Explorer v8.0.6001.18702 [OK] Registry is clean. -\\ Mozilla Firefox v18.0.1 (en-US) File : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\hpygo9rp.default\prefs.js C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\hpygo9rp.default\user.js … Deleted ! Deleted : user_pref("browser.babylon.HPOnNewTab", "search.babylon.com"); Deleted : user_pref("browser.search.order.1", "Search the web (Babylon)"); Deleted : user_pref("extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.newTab", true); Deleted : user_pref("extensions.BabylonToolbar_i.newTabUrl", "hxxp://search.babylon.com/?affID=109980&babsrc=N[…] Deleted : user_pref("keyword.URL", "hxxp://search.babylon.com/?affID=109980&babsrc=KW_ss&mntrId=bc909640000000[…] File : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\hpygo9rp.default1\prefs.js [OK] File is clean. ************************* AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [7542 octets] - [01/02/2013 13:24:52] AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [7602 octets] - [01/02/2013 15:49:41] AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [7819 octets] - [01/02/2013 15:51:04] ########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [7879 octets] ##########
I really don't like CCleaner. I think it's a very dangerous program so I'd rather not run it. The last time I used it I almost wiped my C drive clean. As I recall it does not give you a chance to review any files before you delete them and I got to the point of running it this time and it looked like that hadn't changed. I started on it and a box came up about cookies (not the checked boxes) and it recommended I say yes so I did. It seemed like it did something. Then I got to the boxes and I unchecked the cookies box like you suggested. Then a box came up that said it would delete files and that's where I quit. I then tried to get back to this forum through my favorites but it wouldn't load so I thought CCleaner had done something. I then tried typing the url in the address box and that didn't work either. I then opened the Task Manager and saw the CPU usage was at 100% so I disabled the WD (Western Digital) file I mentioned in one of my first posts and that allowed me to get in through my favorites again. Can I skip CCleaner and just run the Hijack log for you again? I hope you understand this rambling post.
Yes you can skip it. Just post a fresh HJT log. as for CCLeaner….. I use it on my XP machine and it works fine. If you open up CCleaner, there's an option to "Analyze" first before you clean. I never heard of it wiping a drive clean. What do you use to clean out temp files?? MrC
I use Spybot to get rid of Temp files.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 5:26:14 PM, on 2/1/2013
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
C:\Program Files\VERIZONDM\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD Apps\WDDriveAutoUnlock.exe
C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WDDMStatus.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\mcuicnt.exe
C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\arservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcsacore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfevtps.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee Online Backup\MOBKbackup.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\McAPExe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\HPZIPM12.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDFSSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\VERIZONDM\bin\sprtsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\VERIZONDM\bin\tgsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WDDMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD Drive Manager\WDDriveService.exe
C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WDRulesEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMCore\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mfefire.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MESSENGER\MSMSGS.EXE
C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\apcsystray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MAT\McPvTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\msc\mcupdmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPBootOp] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Boot Optimizer\HPBootOp.exe" /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VERIZONDM] "C:\Program Files\VERIZONDM\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P VERIZONDM
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcpltui_exe] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SDTray] "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WD Drive Unlocker] C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD Apps\WDDriveAutoUnlock.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WD Quick View] C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WDDMStatus.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MESSENGER\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: Pin.lnk = C:\hp\bin\CLOAKER.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEButton\support.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: dssrequest - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O18 - Protocol: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O18 - Filter: application/x-mfe-ipt - {3EF5086B-5478-4598-A054-786C45D75692} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\msc\mcsniepl.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: APC UPS Service - American Power Conversion Corporation - C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Home Network (HomeNetSvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcsacore.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall (McMPFSvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee VirusScan Announcer (McNaiAnn) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Platform Services (mcpltsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Anti-Malware Core (mfecore) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMCore\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Firewall Core Service (mfefire) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mfefire.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service (mfevtp) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfevtps.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Online Backup (MOBKbackup) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee Online Backup\MOBKbackup.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Anti-Spam Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\HPZIPM12.EXE
O23 - Service: Spybot-S&D 2 Scanner Service (SDScannerService) - Safer-Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDFSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service (SDUpdateService) - Safer-Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDUpdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spybot-S&D 2 Security Center Service (SDWSCService) - Safer-Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\SDWSCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (verizondm) (sprtsvc_verizondm) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\VERIZONDM\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Repair Service (verizondm) (tgsrvc_verizondm) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\VERIZONDM\bin\tgsrvc.exe
O23 - Service: WDDMService - WDC - C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WDDMService.exe
O23 - Service: WD Drive Manager (WDDriveService) - Western Digital - C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD Drive Manager\WDDriveService.exe
O23 - Service: WDFME (WDFMEService) - Western Digital - C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WDFME.exe
O23 - Service: WDRules (WDRulesService) - Western Digital - C:\Program Files\Western Digital\WD SmartWare\WDRulesEngine.exe

–
End of file - 10230 bytes
It good now but I had to stop that WD file from running. While it was running the CPU was at 100%. I think I need to uninstall that WD backup software.
OK, one other item to check, in the link below is information about checking your hard drive mode, just check yours when you get chance:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=117614

——————————–

Then……

Lets check your computers security before you go and we have a little cleanup to do also:

Download Security Check by screen317 from HERE or HERE.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt.
  • Please Post the contents of that document.
  • Do Not Attach It!!!
MrC
Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.57
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Disabled!
McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
WinPatrol
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.70.0.1100
CCleaner
Java 7 Update 11
Adobe Flash Player 11.5.502.146
Adobe Reader XI
Mozilla Firefox (18.0.1)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
WinPatrol winpatrol.exe
Spybot Teatimer.exe is disabled!
McAfee Online Backup MOBKbackup.exe
BillP Studios WinPatrol winpatrol.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 14% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Java 7 Update 11 <—please update, should be Update 13
Go to control panel > Java > Update Tab > Update Now
Uncheck the box to install the Ask toolbar!!!

You have out dated programs on the system which are vulnerable to malware.
Please update or uninstall them
Info on doing that can be found in my Preventive Maintenance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little clean up to do….

Please Uninstall ComboFix: (if you used it)

Press the Windows logo key + R to bring up the "run box"

Copy and paste next command in the field:

ComboFix /uninstall

Make sure there's a space between Combofix and /

[external image: Posted Image]

Then hit enter.
This will uninstall Combofix, delete its related folders and files, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and clears System Restore cache and create new Restore point

(If that doesn't work…..you can simply rename ComboFix.exe to Uninstall.exe and double click it to complete the uninstall)

———————————

Please download OTL from one of the links below: (you may already have OTL on the system)
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.com
http://www.itxassociates.com/OT-Tools/OTL.exe

Save it to your desktop.

Run OTL and hit the CleanUp button. (This will cleanup the tools and logs used including itself)

Any other programs or logs you can manually delete.
IE: RogueKiller.exe, RKreport.txt, RK_Quarantine folder, C:\FRST, MBAR, etc….AdwCleaner > just run the program and click uninstall.

——————————-

Any questions…please post back.

Take a look at My Preventive Maintenance to avoid being infected again.

Good Luck and Thanks for using the forum, MrC
After reviewing everything a second time I think I answered all of my questions for now. I want to thank you, Mr Charlie, for all your help. It was a pleasure working with you. Ahh, something just came to mind. Do you know a good backup software? I'm going to remove that WD software as I have mentioned. I have a WD Passport that is 1TB external drive that the software came with and the HD is supposed to be tethered to your pc 24/7 and the software runs in the background and constantly backs up anything that changes. That's a good idea but I have 4 hard drives in 3 computers that I backup. The problem is the software is is a resource hog and I can't have this hooked up to 3 computers at once anyway. One nice thing is that instead of a true backup it copied the files and folders so I could go into the drive and actually see what's there rather than see a backup file. It would automatically create separate "folders" on the drive for each hard drive backed up. The other thing I'm looking for is a way to backup the entire drive, programs and all, in case the drive should fail so I wouldn't have to recreate everything from scratch and try to remember what programs I had. I have heard of a program called Ghost but haven't looked into it yet as I've heard also that it is not very user friendly. Any recommendations?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI