This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Secondhand computer

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I got a secondhand computer from a coworker when she upgraded. But there's one big problem. this was her kids' computer, so not only is the admin account locked, it's also got a bunch of parental controls still active. And she doesn't remember the password. Next issue, it's running Windows 7, but the sticker on the tower has a key for Windows Vista. I'm a Windows XP girl when I'm not running Linux. I've never used Windows 7 before. I'd like to just run a factory restore on the computer, but I don't know how to do that on Windows 7, with a Vista key, and no disc, while I'm locked out of the admin account. I can log on as a guest, though I'm not sure if that will help any. Please advise. Oh, I do have an XP disc with it's own key that I'm not using, so if I could just wipe it and install XP, that would work too, but I wasn't sure the hardware would be compatible with such a downgrade, and I know practically nothing about hardware…
make and model of the computer might help us find out if you can do a factory restore back to vista from a hidden partition that may be on your hard drive. as for putting xp on it, i don't see a problem but you will probably have to install some drivers, like the motherboard drivers later to get everything working correctly. or seeing how you already use linux, just install that to it. :D :popcorn:
Oh that would help… *facepalm* It's been a long day, lol. The computer is a Compaq Presario SR5605F. Specs: Here

I considered throwing Linux on it, but I was hoping to use this primarily as a media computer, and last I checked, Linux was still having a hard time with Nvidia graphics cards. Granted, I haven't looking into that in a while… I usually use Ubuntu. My end goal is to hook the tower up to our TV, use the TV as a primary monitor, and use the computer to store and play all of our music and movies. What do you think the best route would be to get what I want? Ubuntu, XP, or a Vista/7 restore?
personally i use mythtv for my media (including recording all my tv programs) running on opensuse, me being biased i'd always recommend mythtv to anyone regardless of os.

as for your pc looks like there is a recovery partition there to restore vista

HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows Vista do not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a space (partition) on the hard disk drive to store the recovery information. The use of a hidden partition provides a convenient process that eliminates the use of recovery discs that may be lost or scratched. Recovery discs for Windows Vista can be created by using the Recovery Manager.


ooops big edit..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen…uct=3793941#N80

start the pc and keep tapping the F11 key to get to the restore options..

Turn off the computer if it is not already off.
Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as the Personal Media Drive, USB drives, printer, and fax. Remove media from drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord .
Turn on the computer and immediately press the F11 key repeatedly , about once every second, until Recovery Manager opens.
Figure 1: Recovery Manager: Welcome to the Recovery Manager
Welcome to the Recovery Manager
Click Next .
A Microsoft System Restore screen opens.
Figure 2: Recovery Manager: Microsoft System Restore
Microsoft System Restore
Select No, I would like to see other options , and then click Next .
A System recovery screen opens.
Click Yes , and Next to continue the recovery process.
Figure 3: Recovery Manager: System recovery
System recovery screen
The Recovery Manager gives you the option of backing up your data files. To do so, read Backing up your files .
To continue recovery, select No , and then click Next .
Figure 4: Recovery Manager: Screen with backup option
Screen showing option for backing up files
A recovery progress screen opens. Wait while files are restored.
Figure 5: Recovery Manager: Factory image recovery
Screen showing progress
When System Recovery is complete, click Finish .
Figure 6: Recovery Manager: Recovery is complete
Complete
The computer restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup. Then, turn off the computer, reconnect all peripheral devices, and turn on the computer.
Before using the computer, update and protect it by reinstalling any virus and security software that was installed before the System Recovery.
Reinstall any software applications that were added after purchasing the computer, and replace any files that were backed up.


:popcorn:
Before you do that, try downloading and running Magic Jellybean Keyfinder (the free version). If it works it will tell you what the Windows 7 key is. Record it then you can reinstall Windows 7 instead of going back to Vista, which I highly recommend.

Since you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here: Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River.
Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

Boot the WIndows 7 DVD and do a Clean Installation with Windows 7.
great idea but will they be able to install and run a program without admin rights ztrucker, safe mode maybe? :popcorn:
Magic Jellybean Keyfinder doesn't need to be installed, just run the .exe. Download the .zip file, not the installer: ZIP v2.0.9.5 (411 kb)
I am facepalming again, lol. I've use Magic Jellybean Keyfinder before, but I completely forgot about it. I have to admit, I haven't really worked on a computer in almost 2 years, because my fiance is much better at the hardware stuff then I am, and I almost always have hardware problems, lol. (I've fried 3 hard drives in 2 different laptops in the past year. My nickname is the slayer of laptops…) Anyways, I should know all of this stuff, I'm just totally rusty, and not used to Vista or 7. Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm planning of working the reload either Monday or Tuesday depending on my work schedule. I'll pop back in if I have any issues.
Don't try to make it look and feel like XP. Take the time to learn Windows 7. It's a far better OS than XP, just takes a little getting used to.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI