This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Monitor detected but no display.

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

did you try the samsung on it's own on each of the dvi connections on the pc? you need the pc off before connecting the monitor and then booting it for each test. you should find (if i'm correct) that it will in fact display a picture only on one of them, and that is the one you need to keep it connected to, and use the other one for your asus monitor. let us know your results, don't forget only use the samsung monitor until we can get it working, then we'll do the dual monitor setup. :popcorn:
sorry but your not giving us enough information in your replies, you need to tell us exactly what you've tried and also answer any questions we've asked. so i'm guessing here that neither the asus or samsung monitors worked with both of the ports, but the asus works on it's own with at least one of them and the samsung on it's own won't work in either, correct? what cables/ connection types are you using to connect each monitor? :popcorn:
So i tried the Samsung one connecting into the top dvi port . The samsung is VGA but i have the VGA to DVI adapter. I tried rebooting my computer twice. First time having the samsung connected to the top by itself then the second time the samsung connecting it to the bottom port. Both did not work. The screen was still black. But i tried using the Asus with both ports and it worked. The Asus with the DVI port and the Samsung with the VGA
ok so the asus works in both dvi connections but the samsung worked in neither. :thumbup: one last question when you tried the samsung did it show anything at all on the screen in either dvi connection when you started the pc? seeing how the samsung worked on your dads pc, can you borrow his cable and adaptor if he uses one and try again on your pc in both dvi connections, this will rule out a fault with your vga cable and dvi to vga adaptor. :popcorn:
glad you got it working. :clap: just one thing i'm curious about tho and would like your help to clarify it for me if you don't mind. does the samsung only work with one of the dvi outputs or does it work with both? if it works on both that would mean they are both dvi-i type outputs and the 2nd is not just a dvi-d like i read somewhere. :popcorn:

glad you got it working. :clap:

Ditto that! It was beginning to sound like a connection issue, rather than something with a monitor or computer. Unfortunately, many monitors have hardwired cables which cannot easily be replaced by the normal user. I am glad you were able to swap in something that worked. I still recommend Ultramon, however. For the smart taskbar if nothing else.

seems Actual Multiple Monitors does more and is cheaper than ultramon, they also do a free version.

I have had Ultramon for more than 10 years and have always liked it very much, but never loved it. I think over the years I have tried all those, and more looking for something better and was never impressed. Often I encountered stability issues - never good - always a show stopper. A couple were comparable, but none compelling me to permanently switch.

I tried Actualtools' Multiple Monitors program before, but that was some time ago and clearly, they have not been sitting idle. There have been several version updates and many features added since I last tested it. Sadly, as is typically the case, the really nice features are only available in the pro version. But still I think I need to give that one a second look.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI