Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93094 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

When I want to image one time as a full back up but still keep the previous full back up, should I keep the default check which says overwrite the previous back up, or uncheck it.
I have been doing this for along time and alway left the default check in the box to over write.
What I don't understand is, if the previous one is overwritten, why does it function when I have recovered with this previous one in the past. The wording has me thrown off.
My goal is to have 2 usable backups. ..

Edited by Peter1, 23 September 2012 - 01:24 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

The way you backup, uncheck overwrite. Another way is to backup to two different folders and rotate on each backup. That's what I used to do.

Now I use Chain2Gen to manage this for me but it takes a bit of setting up. I think I mentioned this before, but I have 4 backup sets (generations) managed by Chain2Gen. Each set contains 1 full and 6 incremental backups. I always have a minimum of 21 days and a max of 28 I can restore to. Acronis runs automatically at 10:30PM then shuts down the computer when down.

Edited by Ztruker, 23 September 2012 - 05:05 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

i'd always keep 2 backups / ways to restore the pc to an as new condition too, just in case you wanted to pass it on to someone. :popcorn:

#4 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

The attachement shows what I am trying to put into words. I have kept checked the box under full (checked is the default) for years and always have been able to recover a full system backup. I guess the words previous archive and previous backup have me confused. Practically, if it has worked being checked I would continue to do so but do not want to learn to do something the wrong way. What would happen to the previously imaged back up I want to keep beside the one I am making if I unchecked the box?

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

With the box checked, the existing backup should be replaced by the new one. With it unchecked, both should be there when the backups process finishes. Do you backup to the same location each time?

Rich

#6 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Yes, I always do the same thing; check off the entire first disc, as what is to be backed up, select a new new back up as opposed to an existing one, select the drive of My Book like F:\ with a date and tib as a location , select backup Full with the box checked, run the backup then validate.
I check the location each time and there are the two images. Both have been used by me and work.

So we agree the way it is worded with the box checked the first should be overwritten by the second.
I just do not know what over written means but if it is what i think it is then the first should be gone.

Perhaps saying a new rather than an existing one, maks the diffrence??

Edited by Peter1, 24 September 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Ah ha! You are not using a scheduled Acronis backup, you do it over from scratch each time. Specifying the date as part of the name means there will never be a name collision so the existing backup will be left alone, unless you run it more than once in the same day (or is the time also part of the name?). Checking or unchecking the box has no effect at all then.

Rich

#8 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

No I do not use time but I will. You are worth your salt as 9 out of 10 could not figure that out.I now understand it. Can't thank you enough. I hope a moderator takes a look at your insightfulness and recognizes your worth. Thank you again. Try and Decide reliable or not?

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

I've used it a few times and did not have an trouble. YMMV (Your Milage May Vary) :D

Rich

#10 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

Thank you Sir.