Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Repairing system32\drivers\nvatabus\sys

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Help3

Help3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

A virus of some sort infected my computer so i ran AVG to find it. It said that the infection was found in system32\drivers\nvatabus\sys and wouldn't let me get rid of it through AVG. I deleted the file and turned my computer off. When i went to turn it back on it said that i had to repair system32\drivers\nvatabus\sys in order to start my computer and open windows and etc. I don't have a clue what to do and I need to fix this problem FAST! Somebody please help, Help3

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

Boot to the Advanced Boot Options Menu (aka Safe Mode Menu) and select Last known good configuration. See if that gets you going.

If not, do it again but select Enable VGA Mode. If that works, downlaod and install the latest Nvidia driver for your graphics card/chipset.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Help3

Help3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

I tried both of those suggestions and it still didn't work. This is exactly what it says: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\drivers\nvatabus.says You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup Using the original Setup CDROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair." What do I do?

#4 Help3

Help3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

I meant to say nvatabus.sys

#5 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

sounds like a Nvidia driver issue.

If system restore did not initially work and after googling the issue, this sound like a likely cure.

This is what NVIDIA advises doing. They give a few options. Here is a zip file which not only contains the document below but also the nvatabus.sys file.
http://download.nvid....structions.zip

*Note: The nForce driver kit numbers you have now will probably differ, but the repair follows the same logic.

Case 1
If you installed nForce 2.03 driver kits and then installed 2.41 & the NVIDIA SW IDE without uninstalling 2.03 and want to go back to 2.03 driver kit, please follow these steps

Option 1: Auto Roll Back Using Windows System Restore
1. Browse to the Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore (See option1.1.bmp)
2. Select “Restore my computer to an earlier time”. Click Next (See option1.2.bmp)
3. Pick a highlighted date on the calendar that is some date before the 2.41 driver package was installed.
4. Click “Next”
5. When you are sure that you have the right selection, click “Next” again. (See otpion1.5.bmp)
6. Windows will roll back to an earlier date and then reboot.
7. When Windows returns your system should be running with the 2.03 drivers again.

Option 2: Manual Roll Back
1. Download the nForce 2.03 driver kit.
2. Browse to the Start Menu and select “Search”
3. Do a search on \windows for *.nvu (See option2.3.bmp)
4. Delete the “nvide.nvu” file (Option2.3.bmp)
5. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs
6. Remove the option “NVIDIA nForce Drivers” (See option2.6.bmp)

NOTE: You must select the option with the exact text above

7. Reboot.
8. When the system restarts, hit “Cancel” when all devices are detected
9. Re-install the nForce 2.03 driver kit.
10. Click “Yes to all” when asked to overwriting old files
11. Reboot when install is complete
12. Upon system restart, right mouse click on My Computer and select Properties
13. Select the “Hardware” tab
14. Click on the “Device Manager” button
15. Expand the section labeled “IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers”
16. Left mouse click on the option labeled “NVIDIA NForce™ MCP2 IDE Controller” or “NVIDIA® nForce™ IDE Controller” (your system will only have one of the above options) (See option2.16.bmp)
17. Right mouse click and select “Update Driver” (See option2.17.bmp)
18. Select “Install from a list of specific location (Advanced)”
19. Select “Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install”
20. Select the driver “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller”
21. Reboot.
22. After reboot allow device detection.
23. Reboot again.
24. Everything should now be working correctly.

Case 2:
If you installed nForce 2.03 driver kits and then installed 2.42 & without uninstalling 2.03 and want to go back to 2.03 driver kit, please follow these steps

Manual Roll Back
1. Browse to the Start Menu and select “Control Panel”
2. Select “Add/Remove Programs”
3. Remove the option labeled “NVIDIA nForce Drivers”

NOTE: You must select the option with the exact text above.

4. Reboot.
5. When the system restarts, hit “Cancel” when all devices are detected
6. Re-install the nForce 2.03 driver kit.
7. Reboot.
8. After reboot allow any additional devices to be detected (if applicable)
9. Reboot.
10. Everything should now be working correctly.

Case 3
Your system is unbootable because you tried to use Add/Remove programs on the nForce 2.42 driver kit

Recovering Windows
1. Copy the “nvatabus.sys” file to a floppy disk. This file is included in the zip file that include these instructions.
2. Boot system to Windows XP installation CD.
3. At the Setup screen, press ”R”.
4. This will bring up the repair console.

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
<To cancel, press ENTER>?

Hit “1” and <ENTER> or the number that represent your Windows XP installation.

Type the Administrator password:

Type password and hit <ENTER>

Insert the floppy disk with the "nvatabus.sys” file into the floppy drive. At the command prompt, type “copy a:\nvatabus.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers” and hit <ENTER>. Once file has been copied, type “EXIT” and hit <ENTER>. This will reboot your system. Remove floppy from system.

5. When the system restarts, hit “Cancel” when all devices are detected
6. Re-install the nForce 2.03 driver kit.
7. Click “Yes to all” when asked to overwriting old files
8. Reboot when install is complete
9. Upon system restart, right mouse click on My Computer and select Properties
10. Select the “Hardware” tab
11. Click on the “Device Manager” button
12. Expand the section labeled “IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers”
13. Left mouse click on the option labeled “NVIDIA NForce™ MCP2 IDE Controller” or “NVIDIA® nForce™ IDE Controller” (your system will only have one of the above options) (See option2.16.bmp)
14. Right mouse click and select “Update Driver” (See option2.17.bmp)
15. Select “Install from a list of specific location (Advanced)”
16. Select “Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install”
17. Select the driver “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller”
18. Reboot.
19. After reboot allow device detection.
20. Reboot again.
21. Everything should now be working correctly.

PS Edit. Please use the below link in my post #8, as the zip file link above does not download an operable zip.

Edited by Lee, 21 September 2012 - 05:49 PM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#6 Help3

Help3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

I don't understand how I can get the nvatabus.sys file if I deleted it

#7 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Firstly, were you able to do a system restore? If not, are you able to boot into safe mode as Ztruker suggested?

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

If a restore does not work, try to boot to safe mode with networking.

Download this zip file to your desktop.

Open the zip file and if possible follow options1.1 through to option2.17 that all have simple screenshots.

If you really have deleted nvatabus.sys file somehow, find "recovery instructions" (in the zip file you downloaded) and open it. Find NvAtaBus.sys. Double click it as that should install (if missing) the nvatabus.sys file.

Failing everything above, if you have an XP CD, you will need to do a system repair install.

Edited by Lee, 21 September 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

Lee, I don't think he can boot his system, normal or Safe Mode so no way to do a System Restore.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#10 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

If he can't restore or get into safe mode he is stuck with option B:

Failing everything above, if you have an XP CD, you will need to do a system repair install.

Cheers,
Lee

#11 Help3

Help3

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the help. I got it fixed

#12 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

:thumbup:

#13 CK97

CK97

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for posting all this! I just had the same problem with nvatabus.sys being deleted on my other computer running Windows XP and AVG antivirus with Nvidia graphics card. I also had to boot from the Windows CD to run a repair, appreciated your instructions quoted below, it's been a while since I ran DOS prompts! Only complication was my computer doesn't have a floppy drive, but fortunately I had an external hard drive and was able to copy "D:\nvatabus.sys"

Thanks so much,
-CK

Recovering Windows
1. Copy the “nvatabus.sys” file to a floppy disk. This file is included in the zip file that include these instructions.
2. Boot system to Windows XP installation CD.
3. At the Setup screen, press ”R”.
4. This will bring up the repair console.
Which Windows installation would you like to log onto <To cancel, press ENTER>?
Hit “1” and <ENTER> or the number that represent your Windows XP installation.
Type the Administrator password:
Type password and hit <ENTER>

Insert the floppy disk with the "nvatabus.sys” file into the floppy drive. At the command prompt, type “copy a:\nvatabus.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers” and hit <ENTER>. Once file has been copied, type “EXIT” and hit <ENTER>. This will reboot your system. Remove floppy from system.

9. Upon system restart, right mouse click on My Computer and select Properties
10. Select the “Hardware” tab
11. Click on the “Device Manager” button
12. Expand the section labeled “IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers”
13. Left mouse click on the option labeled “NVIDIA NForce™ MCP2 IDE Controller” or “NVIDIA® nForce™ IDE Controller” (your system will only have one of the above options) (See option2.16.bmp)
14. Right mouse click and select “Update Driver” (See option2.17.bmp)
15. Select “Install from a list of specific location (Advanced)”
16. Select “Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install”
17. Select the driver “Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller”
18. Reboot.
19. After reboot allow device detection.
20. Reboot again.
21. Everything should now be working correctly.

PS Edit. Please use the below link in my post #8, as the zip file link above does not download an operable zip.