Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

sandboxie

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

Does anyone have an opinion about Sandboxie which was just suggested to me.
I have read about it and I don't know if there is a good reason not to use it. It read well.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

pretty sure, all new browsers have a sandbox environment already built in (which is what sandboxie is.), how effective they are tho is debatable from my understanding.

this link is a few years old. :- http://www.infoworld...op-105?page=0,2

Is this hyperbole aimed at the foolish consumer? The Test Center thinks so. "These new-fangled security client software products clearly don't work on the level that the vendors claim," Test Center's Dineley says. "They're basically asking you to flirt with disaster under the illusion that disaster can be averted."

:popcorn:

IE9 Hacked, Chrome Pwned (Again)

http://www.favbrowse...me-pwned-again/

and from sandboxie's own q+a :- http://www.sandboxie...estions#HowSafe

How safe would I be, by using Sandboxie?

You would be quite safe using Sandboxie. It should be noted that, from time to time, people are able to find some vulnerability in Sandboxie, an open hole through which malicious software can still infiltrate the system.

This happens once every few months, on average, and is quickly resolved by closing the hole that is the attack vector.

Thus it's a good idea to have more traditional anti-malware software. This is is the subject of the following question.

Edited by terry1966, 16 September 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thank you -I have read it all and will still read further before deciding.

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

to be totally honest, not using a windows pc myself as you know, i wouldn't be thinking of adding all and any program i am told about to my pc in the hopes of making it 100% secure on the internet. there is no 100% secure pc on the internet. (not even my linux pc.) all these extra programs do is slow your pc down, in my opinion. best you can do to protect yourself, is what your already doing. and that is to run the usual anti virus software and keep all your currently installed software up to date. just be careful on what sites you visit or what you download. :thumbup: :popcorn:

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

Using Sandboxie is way better than not using it when you are concerned about a program or web site. It is not 100% insurance but then neither is any anti-virus/anti-malware software. It's just another tool to use in the ongoing battle between good and evil. I use Acronis Try and Decide for the same reason. It allows me to back out of just about anything that has been done to my computer, intentionally or unintentionally.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#6 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

curious to know what makes sandboxie offer more protection than ie's inbuilt sandbox ztrucker? :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 17 September 2012 - 12:36 AM.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Sandboxie applies to all programs, not just your web browser.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown