This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Computer start-up problems

26 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am again going to stress the importance of testing this HD using the diagnostic program I mentioned way earlier and posting again below. We are getting ahead of ourselves in what the next steps should be so first we need a PS2 kb to continue on the diagnostic test.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions
I think this is a good idea. My problem is the keyboard – and I don't really have access to a ps2 – would there be another way around it/something else I could use instead ?
If you have no access to a PS2 kb then we are at a stand still. Without borrowing one then you will need to purchase one. They should be less then 10USD depending on where you get your parts from. Do you have Best Buy, Target, Office Depot or a Staples near you? All you need is a generic basic PS2 keyboard.
Okay – thanks. I'll go ahead and get one and rely back after I've run the diagnostic. Is it fairly straightforward on how to use the ps2 keyboard?
Yep there should be a round connector on the back of your computer that looks like this. One is kb and the other is a mouse. If there is only one it should be the kb connection which is the purple colored one. [attachment removed]
I went all over but no one has those anymore. I ended up finding a used/old computer keyboard, which I'll try - it's fits fine in the port. I think I've already burned that CD - the seatools one,so I'll give it a try. ETA: I still can't seem to tab with the new keyboard.
Something is not right then. What about a mouse is it USB also? Did you disconnect the USB kb while you tried the PS@ and do you know if the PS2 kb is working or not?
The mouse is usb – I did disconnect the usb keyboard. Good point about the other keyboard - it's a computer keyboard with the purple connection. I assume it's a working one but not 100% sure.
OK is there a PS2 mouse port next to the kb connection? If so then you may need to try a ps2 mouse also. Some way we are going to get this diagnostic test to work.
If that's the green port, then yes there is one. Not sure if I'll be able to find a ps2 mouse tho but I can try. I think I'm going to have some trouble finding one. I found one so I'll give it a try.
Did you shut the system down and then connect the PS2 mouse? If you simply connected it with the system running it will not work. PS2 is different then USB and has to be started with a bootup. Shut the system down and then restart it with the cd in the drive. Does the mouse now work?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI