This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Computer start-up problems

26 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I burned the ubuntu disk and put it in the bad system but I'm not sure what to do now – I'm kind of in the same situation with my usb keyboard so I can't click the try ubunt button. I don't have any other key board.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks


Ah yes, it seems the version I linked you to has broken USB device support.

try this file, burn it to a CD

Using this disk:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/try-ub…ore-you-install IGNORE STEP FOUR

Once you are to step 3:

You can open the included firefox browser to log in and review the rest of the information contained in this post.

Click the dash in the top left corner of the screen and start the Disk Utility.

Select your hard drive in the Storage Devices list. Information will appear about the disk and its status under Drive.

SMART Status should say "Disk is healthy".

To see details of the data and tests applied, click on the SMART Data button located below SMART Status.

In the case that smart is not enabled in the boot environment

Open a terminal window by performing the following keyboard shortcut:
Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + T

In that window, copy and paste the following code.

sudo smartctl -s on /dev/sda

Is it a scan that will give me a diagnosis of the problem?


Yes this scan will not only tell you if your drive is going bad, it will even give you advanced detail such as if there are bad sectors or is the disk is taking too long to spin up.

JenneyB has sense stated that JenneyB does not have access to any other keyboard.
I burned the other version and am able to use my keyboard but I'm not sure what to do next. I have a purple screen with the examples folder and the install Ubuntu in the upper left corner then above them it says Applications Places System What should I do now? How do I get it to scan? Thanks
Please click System then Administration then Disk Utility.

From there you can view the hard drive by clicking on it on the window.

On the right column you will see a thing named SMART Status if it is Green the drive is well, orange means it is close to failing red means the drive shut be replaced imminently.
The mouse isn't working, however I was able to use the tab button this far but now I don't seem to have access to it to click on System.
aorrow keys should allow you to scroll down to the Disk Utility option and Enter should allow you to open the application. Alternatively, power off you machine (press the power button and a shut down prompt will automatically appears.) unplug your mouse and plug it into a different usb port, power the system back on and try again. (Even though USB is Pnp Ubuntu often fails to load some modules and rebooting is the only fix (unless it was installed))
Open a terminal window by performing the following keyboard shortcut:
Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + T

In that window, copy and paste the following code.

sudo smartctl -s on /dev/sda

Then press enter.
Try this:

**EDIT**
sudo apt-get install smartmontools

Then:

sudo /usr/sbin/smartctl -s on -o on -S on /dev/sda

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI