Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

ubuntu oracle

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

As recomended I tried both Lili and Imgburn. The latter told me to run at 10x's to succeed. Again. OI get a brownish page for a nanosecond then the screen becomes black with alot of data. I have to hard boo to escape. I really would like to use Ubuntu and am open to other ideas. Thank you Peter

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I can't think of anything else to try. I'd say post in the beginners Ubuntu forum, see if they can help. Make sure you mention you want to run a live CD or flash drive, not install it.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#18 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

I can't think of anything else to try. I'd say post in the beginners Ubuntu forum, see if they can help. Make sure you mention you want to run a live CD or flash drive, not install it.

>>Rich - you are a mind reader; I just left there as it dawned upon me at 2 this am that they must have a forum. Thanx for trying.
Peter

#19 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

Can you post a link to your thread there? I can't find it.

Rich

#20 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Can you post a link to your thread there? I can't find it.

http://ubuntuforums....s...e=&f=search

I hope this works and I also attached the forum.
P.S. They are pretty strict there and advise posting in the beginners forum.
You will find my plea in there, anyway.
Good luck
P

Edited by Ztruker, 20 August 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#21 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

The one you posted brings up the Ubuntu forum search and the image you show is just the list of forums there.

Open the post you made there then copy the URL and insert it here using the Insert Link (green +) to the right of the Emoticons drop down.

I found it: cannot view stck or cd

Looks like you are in good hands.

Edited by Ztruker, 20 August 2012 - 01:14 PM.

Rich

#22 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

gree + Hello I received a pm from Ubuntu forums as this is my first time to try to get something solved. I posted in another place but cannot find it and apologize for that. I believe one place indicated for Dell users which I am. I was told by the pm to post in the Absolute beginner section so here I am. I am trying to put Ubuntu on either a flashdrive or a cd but cannot view it. I have downloaded from the Ubuntu main page and other flavors to desktop. I have used unetbootin,Lili, and imgburn to no avaail. I have Dell XPS 8300, i5, 1T, 3.30GHz and use both MSIE 9 and FF. Once the iso is burned to (4 GB allocating 2 GB)stick or to cd and I set boot with F12 to the appropriate boot, when I hit enter, the screen goes black after a nanosecond of tan and displays alot of white digits. I have to hard boot to unfreeze the machine. I have asked many forums till it dawned upon me that you have a forum. Please correct any protocol I have violated as I have always maintained respect over the years for forums I belong to. Could you help me to run Ubuntu from a removable media to investigate to see if I want to intall it in my machime? I am quite certain that I do. Thank you Peter P.S. I copied and pasted my post here b/c I could not find " copy the URL and insert it here using the Insert Link (gree +) to the right of the Emoticons drop down". I saw "insert = post link, spoiler etc. /could not find the URL/ +misunderstood gree+

#23 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

http://ubuntuforums....d.php?t=2044635

#24 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

I thought you would like to see what is in the dvd-rw I created that says to reboot and run the programbut still fails - I posted in Ubuntu also.

#25 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

That looks right. The only suggestion I have is if you are really using a DVD-RW to try a DVD+R instead. I have never like re-writable optical discs, CD or DVD.

Rich

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

I downloaded ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso then opened it with IsoBuster. I see one zero length file you did not show but I don't know if that is significant or not. UbuntuContent.jpg

Rich

#27 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hello I wanted you to know that the dvd I created worked when I set the boot order to dvd on tmy wife's laptop but still will not work on my desktop. I could not get internet with FF. It does say that drivers cost extra but I do not know if that applies to the regular installation. Does that suggest what I can do to to the desktop so it will work there also? Perhaps boot order in the BIOS? I do not know how to set it if it has to do with the remedy. The dsktop boot order is 1-hard 2-cd-dvd 3-usb-floppy 4-network 5-usb-hard 6-usb- cd/dvd Thank you Peter

Edited by Peter1, 20 August 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#28 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

Set the CD/DVD as the first boot device, unless your computer allows you to press a Fn key to get to the boot menu. It's usually F12. On my Dell, in the top right corner when I boot I see Press F2 to enter Setup Press F12 for Boot Menu.

Rich

#29 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

Set the CD/DVD as the first boot device, unless your computer allows you to press a Fn key to get to the boot menu. It's usually F12.

On my Dell, in the top right corner when I boot I see

Press F2 to enter Setup
Press F12 for Boot Menu.

>>R. I changed the BIOS to boot from cd/dvd but the same thing happens as when I tapped F12 for a one time boot.
I did save changes and checked that it was cd/dvd first. I have resorted to 'hard' first as I think it is a bit faster.
I guess this will not be solved but wanted to thank you for your patience. Hit the hammock.
Peter
P.S. I never did hear from the Ubuntu foum.

Edited by Peter1, 21 August 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#30 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

I could not get internet with FF.
It does say that drivers cost extra but I do not know if that applies to the regular installation.

no idea what your talking about here, everything is free with linux (well there is software out there you need to pay for like some games, but the essential stuff is free) , so no need to pay for anything, including the os and drivers.

anyway, seeing how the cd works on your wife laptop, i think it may be a problem with your laptop and uefi.

i experienced a similar thing with my nieces laptop that needed to be sent away for warranty repair, i am still waiting for her to bring to back to me when she gets it back from the shop so i can look into the problem more thoroughly.

i have read about a fix of sorts, it seems if you do a cold boot, power on the laptop and try booting the cd. all you get is the black screen after boot options menu.
but
first make sure the cd drive is first boot option in bios, then do a warm boot, this is boot into your win7 operating system first, insert the live cd into the drive and now exit win7 by telling it to restart the pc in the shutdown options, you should find it will now boot into linux os, without the black screen.

let me know if it works for you also.

link to info here :- http://www.pclinuxos...?topic=106620.0

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 21 August 2012 - 01:41 PM.