This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Gameplay Optimized

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have never been a big player of online games. I prefer the xbox360. However, my son has now found a game he loves and wants to play continuously. The game seems to be very slow though.
Dungeons and Dragons Online- http://www.ddo.com/

Is there a way to adjust the performance of a system to optimize online gameplay? Increase buffering speed?
I'm just not very knowledgible in this area, although I do know my system very well.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

System Specs:
Dell Vostro 230 desktop
Windows 7 Home Premium
Pentium Duel-Core 3.20Ghz
Installed Memory 3.00Gb
Total Virtual Memory 5.93Gb

If you need more info please ask.

Thank you

System Specs:
Dell Vostro 230 desktop
Windows 7 Home Premium
Pentium Duel-Core 3.20Ghz
Installed Memory 3.00Gb
Total Virtual Memory 5.93Gb


Cons for gaming:
250w power supply
Video memory is shared with the system (integrated graphics)

The Dell Vostro is a great business PC, but business PCs (mostly) do not come with a dedicated video card and that is what the Vostro is crying out for if it is to achieve any sort of gaming performance.

Even a $20 video card would be a serious performance boost over integrated graphics, but around the $50 mark for a Radeon 6570 would be a best buy and not overtaxing for a 250w power supply. Cheaper still but adequate, would be a Radeon HD 6450.
As the Vostro is a Slim Line PC, a low profile version of either card would probably be required.

A dramatic performance increase can be expected :)

Cheers,
Lee

PS:
How to install a graphics card.
You Tube version.
I guess that's why I could not find a Video Card or Driver listed in my computer info…lol I truly was not aware that this PC did not come with a video driver. Is there one you would suggest? Remember, I don't do a lot of gaming at all, but would like the opportunity to if I wanted. Thanks

around the $50 mark for a Radeon 6570 would be a best buy and not overtaxing for a 250w power supply. Cheaper still but adequate, would be a Radeon HD 6450.
As the Vostro is a Slim Line PC, a low profile version of either card would probably be required.

PS:
How to install a graphics card.
You Tube version.


The two cards (various manufacturers) I have recommended will both suit your PC. Just make sure you choose a "low profile" model of either. Please watch the you tube video.

Cheers,
Lee
Thanks all. I guess I can go ahead and close this case until I get the graphics card anyway. What optimizations should I do, or can I do once I am at the point the new card is ready to go. Or should I just leave it alone?
Hi Gent, Lee is correct that a dedicated graphics adapter card will provide the best enhancement of this machine for your stated purpose. Lee's recommendation appears to be the best investment, though for a few dollars more you can acquire the recommendation offered by Dell. Apparently you've decided to acquire a graphics adapter card. Great! As a result you will most likely create a machine that will meet your stated needs of low-end gaming. I operate on an arbitrary principle with regard to machine repair and upgrade. That is, as a rule-of-thumb, I favor repair and upgrade as long as related costs remain below approximately 1/3 of the "current" value of the existing machine. More than that amount and you begin to have a decent partial payment toward an altogether new machine. New machine would have improved primary processor cores, enhanced RAM memory, probably improved motherboard cache features for the chipset, and of course a new operating system. The new machine would also have its own capacity for enhanced build-out beyond what your present machine may possess. For what it is worth, I've broken my own rule-of-thumb many times, but still find it useful as a general principle. By taking the course of action upon which you have apparently embarked, you will most likely achieve your goal in the most economic manner for this machine and these goals at this time. But you will probably have reached the horizon of that machine's capacity to build-out economically. I say: Good Decision. And Good Job! Please let us know how it turns out for you. Best Regards
To be honest, this machine was never meant for online gaming and graphics to begin with. I would never add on to it unless it were to increase the performance of the machine overall. However, a blue-eyed child staring up at you wanting to be able to play a game online can change your mind. I'm just trying to get what he needs to play at a normal level. Nothing fantastixc. I just hope this card will do what i need. Thanks to all for ther help
Here are three cards I found on e-bay. "Assuming" they are in good condition, would any of these work or is one better than the other? Asus GeForce GT440 Graphics Card[NIB] NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 1.5GB DDR3 PCI Express Zotac GeForce GT440 1GB DDR3 128BIT Thanks, I won't bother you again about this.
Based on new prices (second-hand Ebay prices should also reflect this difference), the Radeon HD 6570 has the same performance for less money than the GT 440, while the GDDR5 Radeon HD 6670 is about 15% faster for about the same price. All these cards are the upper limits of what your PC can handle without running into heat and inadequate power supply issues. All these cards so far will (should) power directly from the motherboard. If they have a power cord that needs power directly from the PSU, it is too powerful. Also be aware that If you have a slim-line model PC (which I think you have), you might have issues with fitting any card unless it is a "slim-line version" of the card you finally decide on. You cannot return a card to an ebay seller if it doesn't fit, or burns out your PSU because it was too powerful. Cheers, Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI