Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

I Am Still Not Sure These People Are Right

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 31 July 2003 - 05:55 PM

07/30/2003, 1:42 p.m.

bsa98721
( All bsa98721's messages )

Taskbar icons Reply
Overall Rating: Not Yet Rated

this is on XP. Ok. i left clicked the taskbar went to properties and went to customize and a long list of old programs that used to be on the computer is there. is there any way to get rid of them or take the ones that you dont want off?

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5
Least Helpful <--> Most Helpful

Report This Message As Offensive

07/30/2003, 1:44 p.m.

beluga719
( All beluga719's messages )

Re: bsa98721's message on 07/30/2003 at 1:42 p.m. Reply

Same with me I not sure if you can get rid of them. If you can I would also like to know how.

B

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/30/2003, 1:47 p.m.

CrowleyPestCont
( All CrowleyPestCont's messages )

first I would go to add/remove and make sure the ones you dont want are not installed, if they are or are not you can still right click and delete the icons.. there only shortcuts. You can also just close the Quick launch bar all together. If you are talking about the system tray (where the clock is) then you have to clcik start/run/type msconfig and it enter.. go to startup and uncheck what ever you dont want..BUT IF YOU DO THAT the programs you choose will not start so make sure what you uncheck is not important

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/30/2003, 1:54 p.m.

bsa98721

Re: CrowleyPestCont's message on 07/30/2003 at 1:47 p.m. Reply

but those are the processes i was talking about the long list of old programs i uninstalled a while ago that are listed in the taskbar properties so ur message didnt really help too much no offense

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/30/2003, 2:02 p.m.

CrowleyPestCont

Re: bsa98721's message on 07/30/2003 at 1:54 p.m. Reply

can you not right click on them and delete them. When you say task bar properties.. do you mean in the window that says "customize start menu".. no offense taken but could you be a little more specific.. being that are no programs list just in task bar properties

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/30/2003, 2:37 p.m.

flatiron__2
( All flatiron__2's messages )

Re: CrowleyPestCont's message on 07/30/2003 at 2:02 p.m. Reply

2 ways that i know of. haven't tried it yet though but i have read that is does work. if you would let me know the outcome and which way that you did it. i would like to do it also!
Notification Area - Remove Past Icons from List
http://www.theelderg...cation_area.htm

number 53 http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/30/2003, 2:45 p.m.

CrowleyPestCont

Re: flatiron__2's message on 07/30/2003 at 2:37 p.m. Reply

flatiron- ok .. from what the link says you gave...reffer to my first comment on msconfig. That is called the system tray.

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/30/2003, 2:52 p.m.

flatiron__2
( All flatiron__2's messages )

Re: flatiron__2's message on 07/30/2003 at 2:37 p.m. Reply

just found this

Start/Run/Regedit
Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\TrayNotify

Once done, Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, and then click End Process. In Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, and then click OK.
http://beta.experts-..._Systems/WinXP/ Q_20512720.html

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 283084 How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area http://support.micro...d=kb;EN-US;Q283 084

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/30/2003, 11:20 p.m.

bsa98721

Re: flatiron__2's message on 07/30/2003 at 2:52 p.m. Reply

CrowleyPestCont your message helped a different problem i had and flatiron thanx for your help it help me out a lot

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/31/2003, 2:25 a.m.

jt0x
( All jt0x's messages )

07/11/2003, 9:18 p.m.
jt0x
( All my messages )
Re: wendyb53's message on 07/11/2003 at 10:11 a.m.
Overall Rating: (2 votes)
I too once wanted to know how to do this, because I wanted to clear out all the programs and start fresh.

So I went, I sought, I searched, I found.

This is how you remove ALL programs (current and past) from the Inactive Icons feature under WinXP:

First, start the registry editor (run > regedit)

Browse to this path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\TrayNotify

Delete the two keys named IconStreams and PastIconsStream.

Once youve done that, you MUST open the task manager (press ctrl+alt+del or right click the task bar and click task manager), locate the explorer.exe process and right click on it and hit End Process.

This will cause explorer to shut down without saving any settings.

You will still have the task manager open, so you can then do Shut Down -> Reboot.

When you restart all the active/inactive icons in the list will be gone, and all icons will be visible for you to start hiding them as you wish.

If you dont want to edit the registry yourself, drop me your email address and I'll write a small program to do these two steps automatically for you, and Ill send you the program.

http://cgi.techtv.co...ole_thread_view &board_id=12&topic_id=28&thread_id=1354752

You can get the program I made for this, and other programs, at http://pcapps.bizhosting.com

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/31/2003, 2:35 a.m.

CrowleyPestCont

Re: jt0x's message on 07/31/2003 at 2:25 a.m. Reply

Well I sure do appologize bsa..the last thing I want to do is give bad/incorrect/misleading information. I constantly download programs..I have a library of over 400 programs (and counting) and I have yet to have to edit the registry to remove a program from the system tray (active/inactive feature) I am glad you got it done and sorry I wasnt much help..maybe next time..:|

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/31/2003, 2:38 a.m.

lanimas55
( All lanimas55's messages )

Re: flatiron__2's message on 07/30/2003 at 2:52 p.m. Reply

yes flatiron_2 you are correct the link you gave is how to delete those inactive icons i do mine svery 2-3 weeks but you can also go in and right click them and 3 options appears and you can use the option always hide and it wont appear in your tray
how ever eventually it gets cluttered up so it is a good idea to delete then every now and then if the poster wants to do thatlet him follow your link if not post back
marty

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

07/31/2003, 2:43 a.m.

lanimas55
( All lanimas55's messages )

Re: jt0x's message on 07/31/2003 at 2:25 a.m. Reply

your the person who showed me how to get rid of them ive been doing it ever since that reply you posted was the same you posted to me i thought it was brilliant and i said so

marty

Rate this message:
1 2 3 4 5

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

Advertisements

Register to Remove