I really don't want to upgrade to 2011,and I've already tried using alternatives to WLM (PIgdin, Trillian and Digsby were lacking, AMSN gave me an adware advertisement virus).
I've already tried using Messenger Reviver,but it didn't work and gave "error code:80040154" after trying to sign in.
I restarted my laptop,uninstalled/reinstalled WLM 2009,etc.
Please help me understand your situation and intended task.
Have you already accepted version 2011 and wish to revert to 2009?
If you haven't yet allowed the upgrade, and wish to prevent the annoying MS prompts to upgrade, there is a reasonably well written work-around solution posted at:
Microsoft Answers: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows…75-3b9ec46c3c0e
Note: Maker sure WL Messenger is not running.
1. Go to Start and type Messenger on the Search Bar.
2. If you see the program on the Start Menu, right-click Messenger and then left-click Properties.
3. On the Properties window, go to Compatibility tab.
4. Tick Run this program in compatibility mode for:.
5. Click the drop-down menu and select Windows XP (Service Pack 3)..
6. Click Apply.
7. Click OK.
8. Restart your computer.
I uninstalled 2009. I then installed 2011.
After not liking it,I uninstalled 2011 and reinstalled 2009.
And for some reason I don't have the option to use Service Pack 3… [external image: Posted Image]
You may select XP (Service Pack 2)
Windows Live Messenger 2009 still may not work.
therefore move on to the next step
You may also benefit from reducing Hardware Acceleration.
Here's how:
Right-Click on any empty space on your Desktop
Select - Screen Resolution (might read Change Resolution)
Select - Advanced Settings
Select - Trouble-Shooting
Adjust Hardware Acceleration by moving the "slider" toward the Left (in most cases move slider to 3rd setting mark from the left)
It is "possible" that your graphics adapter does not have a "slide bar" displayed in the "Trouble-Shooting" panel as instructed above.
(If not, please let us know. There might be another way to get at it.)
Hopefully, Selecting XP (Service Pack 2) and Reducing Hardware Acceleration will do the trick.
Keep us posted.