This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Can a tablet computer be connected to an external drive?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I have seen tablet computers like Apple Ipads and samsung galaxy tabs etc. I know these tabs aren't nearly as robust as desktops or even laptops, but I was wondering…

1. Can they be connected to an external drive and access it's files like a desktop or laptop?

2. Can files from an external drive be loaded onto a tab (ie a video file), stored on it's hard drive and played back or accessed from from there by an installed application?

3. Could a purchase of an ac adapter be made to plug the tab into the wall for when you just want to view in one place for a while (similar to a laptop I guess) and not drain it's battery?

4. If a person can't use an external hard drive to access other files then what can they use? Surely their must be some way to access files from other drives and add files to the tab's hd.

5. What kind of keyboard attachment would you recommend for a tab that would really work so that a person would haven't do their typing directly onto the tab? Would something like the below item work or would it not be good enough? Please give your recommendations…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Case-Keybo…#ht_4030wt_1396

Thanks for any help (meaning people like paws, terry1966, Doug and the like. I am thanking you guys in advance because whenever I make threads you always seem to chime in. Thanks again! :thumbup: ) you guys can give. ;)
depends on the tablet how you get data onto it but i'd have to say most have a usb connection and with that connection port there'd be no problem connecting a keyboard or external hard drive to it. best thing to do is use google and read up on whatever ones your looking at. personally i can't see me ever buying one, i'd get a smartphone or laptop. :D :popcorn:
Thanks for that information terry. I apologize for my late reply, but do you think the keyboard I linked you to on ebay would be a good one? Or do you think it wouldn't be good enough? Please suggest a good keyboard for a tablet. Also I don't know if I would ever get one either. I like their portability, but the lack of a DVD drive and the small hard drive are definitely a concern for me. I prefer laptops, but their not as portable as tablets. I understand what you are saying. As for smartphones I don't know If I would get one as the screen is so small I don't know if I would feel comfortable working on it daily like I do my computer and it's lack of a drive and the data plans are another concern. I'm still making up my mind though. Keep the suggestions coming! I appreciate them!

Thanks for that information terry. I apologize for my late reply, but do you think the keyboard I linked you to on ebay would be a good one? Or do you think it wouldn't be good enough? Please suggest a good keyboard for a tablet.

no idea, never used it and to be honest, to me, a keyboard is a keyboard, so any keyboard i could connect to a tablet. would be good enough.

again being honest, if you want a device that your going to be working on daily, then a tablet is the last thing you want to buy.
at the moment tablets are just for playing games, watching video, listening to music and some basic web browsing email use, the things you do to pass your time, they are not to do any real work on, so if that's the reason your thinking of buying one then i'm afraid your going to be in for a very frustrating work day.

think of them as a big smartphone without the benefit of being able to call anyone in an emergency. :D

:popcorn:
Sorry again for my late reply terry. I've been away. Thanks a lot for that information. I didn't realize tablets were so restrictive. I guess I will just get a laptop in the future for my needs. I appreciate your help terry. You saved me from blowing money on a what could have been a big mistake. Thanks again :) atrandom

Well,samsung and ipad can be easilly connect and then depend what types of files you want to transfer and edit.



Sorry for my late reply. I didn't see your reply until now. I would be transferring videos, mp3s and documents. I would want to connect it to a 3tb external drive. Could it do that?