This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Firefox can't find the server at......error

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Nope! This isn't working either. I'm going to try reset everything: router, browser, firewall, everything.

EDIT: I just this minute got this message in Explorer:
📎ESET_Firewall.jpg
Foregone conclusion?
Uninstall ESET, install Microsoft Security Essentials and run that way for awhile, see if the problem comes back. If not then ESET is the problem and there should be some settings you can change to fix this. If not, stay with MSE.
Ok we'll give that a go, thank you. I'll report back & let you know how I get on.
The only grump I have if it is the firewall that I have paid money for the product & I am not getting the support from ESET.
Anyway lets give it go
I've had Microsoft Security Essentials installed for a while now & I'm still getting the same error - this definitely rules out nod which I've now reinstalled. I'm going to ring my ISP tomorrow & ask them for the preferred & alternate DNS server I.P address'.
Hi,

I rang my ISP & they said my connection was fine & that my Router was either faulty or unsupported. The latter conflicts with what it says on thier website as my router is listed :huh:
I give up!
Have you tried bypassing the router and connecting directly to the ISP's modem? One sure way to see if the router is the problem or not.
Not what I meant. Connect the computer directly to the ISP modem, not to the router. That way the router is not involved at all. Power cycle modem and computer. If problem persists then it's not your modem so has to be computer or your ISP. If all is well then your router is the problem, replace it.
Sorry I don't follow. Do you mean directly connect my Router/Modem to my computer via the LAN cable? Is that what you mean? I'm not quite sure how you go about it.
Thank you
I guess we're both confused :D

What does your network setup look like? You said you had a router here.

Normally, you have a ISP provided modem that has an Ethernet connection to your router's WAN port.
Then you have an Ethernet cable connecting the router to your computer.
Eliminate the router by going from the ISP modem to the computer.
What you show as a router to me is a modem that is provided by your ISP. Your setup does not have a "router", at least not as I think of one, so my idea is useless, sorry. ADSL is a world I've never ventured into so I don't have any ideas at all. I'll ask some of the other techs here if they have any.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI