Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Application cannot be executed. The file SmcGui.exe is infected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 SmcGui

SmcGui

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

I was recently browsing the iternet and this window in the lower right hand corner popped up that says "Warning! Application cannot be exeuted. The file SmcGui.exe is infected. Pease activate your antivirus software. I have windows XP. Every web page I go to says 'The site you are trying to visit may harm your computer'. I read this thread

http://forums.whatth...howtopic=117715

which seems similar but I cannot open any files. For instane, I saved ComboFix to my desktop but as soon as I open it, it closes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 mowman

mowman

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hello,
Welcome to WhatTheTech. My name is mowman, and I will be helping you fix your problems.

If you do not make a reply in 3 days, we will have to close your topic.

You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the Options button at the top bar of this topic and Track this topic. The topics you are tracking can be found by clicking on My Topics at the top of any page.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:

•Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools. Doing so could cause changes to the directions I have to give you and prolong the time required. Further more, you should not be taking any advice relating to this computer from any other source throughout the course of this fix.
•If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
•Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean". We do not want to clean you part-way, only to have the system re-infect itself.
•Please reply using the button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply.
Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post

Boot into Safe Mode using the following method
Reboot the system. As soon as system starts up repeatedly tap the F8 Function key.
Once you have Advanced Bootup Options menu, select Safe Mode

Try to run combofix in safe mode,post the log if successful

#3 SmcGui

SmcGui

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Hello, and thank you for your help. It was a work computer that got infected and IT got here faster than I anticipated so they were able to fix it. I believe they ran a system restore and did a virus scan. In any case, it's fixed now. Thanks again for your help.

#4 mowman

mowman

SuperMember

• Malware Team
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.