Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

connected......then not connected?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dreux

dreux

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

I have an old Dell Dimension B110 that I fired up after four years of it collecting dust and cannot coneect to the internet. this is a wireless connection and the network is found and has the right network key. it won't acquire it automatically and when I do it manually it shows connected briefly, then not connected. I tried removing the old firewall and turned off the automatic updates but still get the same result. any suggestions? thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

Hi dreux, sorry to hear of the problem with your computer's networking. My data sheets indicate that the dell Dimension B110 is a desktop computer that comes with a network interface (Ethernet port) and is not generally shipped with a wireless network adapter. To connect to the Internet wirelessly you need either a wireless network adapter to be fitted or an external network adapter like for example a USB wireless network adapter. 1 Please advise the make and model number of your wireless network adapter, and confirm that the correct drivers are installed 2 In Win XP You can do this by accessing "Device Manager" (Right click My Computer> Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and scroll down to "Network Adapters" expand as necessary...is the wireless adapter present? if so details please, and is it working Ok (Right click it and click on Properties)...is there a yellow or red marker against its name anywhere? 3 If its working Ok, then please ensure that it is enabled... 4 to enable the wireless network adapter click on Start>Control Panel>Network Connections, and set the wireless adapter to "enabled" if irts already set to enabled then disable it and then click on enable and Ok your way out. 5 Now try the Internet again, but first disable (for a short test only) the wireless encryption on your Router and make sure that the firewall is disabled( if its a third party firewall like McAfee or Nortons, then after making sure you have the executable file to reinstall it and its product serial key uninstall it completely and just rely upon the inbuilt Windows Firewall for a short test...... You should use the dedicated uninstall tool from the manufactures website to complete the uninstallation.... and don't forget the reboot each time to complete the uninstallation. 6 If thsi is All OK then rejoice...... but if still in difficulty in obtaining a wireless connection, then copy and paste these lines in notepad @Echo on pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc attrib -h -s -r hosts echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS attrib +r +h +s hosts popd ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew ipconfig /flushdns netsh winsock reset all netsh int ip reset all shutdown -r -t 1 del %0 Save as flush.bat to your desktop. Double click on the flush.bat file to run it. Your computer will reboot itself. Now try the Internet again. if still no joy then run this command from Start>Run and please copy and paste the following line cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping bbc.co.uk >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt" Wait a moment for the output to be created and then please copy and paste the output into your reply. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 dreux

dreux

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

hi paws, first, I failed to mention that I installed a SOLOMON Scwi211b USB Wireless LAN on the desktop. this was four years ago and I can't remember where I got the unit from. there is also an Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network Connection installed. both units are working properly and enabled. I did disable/enable the SOLOMON unit with the same result, no connection. I tried the bat file and that didn't work either. I ran the postme instruction and tried to save it to a cd and that didn't work, so here is the report as seen in Notepad: Windows IP Configuration Host Name......................:reid-cd7171ee38 Primary Dns Suffix.......... : Node Type.......................: Unkown IP Routing Enabled...........: No WINS Poxy Enabled..........: No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State......................: Media disconnected Description.......................: Intel ® PRO/100 VE Network Connection Physical Address...............: 00-16-76-8B-A7-6C Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: Media State.......................: Media disconnected Description........................: SOLOMON Scwi211b USB Wireless Lan Physical Address................: 00-0F-DF-00-20-1B Ping request could not find host bb.co.uk. Please check the name and try again. great typing practice. I do have the small cd for installation but I thought I do this route first before I do an add/remove. thanks for your help. dreux

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hi dreux, 1 OK...there's no need for tying the output..copy and paste does just fine.... the output indicates that your wireless network adapter is not connected..... 2 so the next step is to make sure you have a copy of the driver (if you still have it) safely copied to removable media... 3 then you can uninstall it via Device Manager and Reboot your computer...hopefully Windows will install the drivers for you again.... see if this gets it to work. 4 You could also try and update the driver via Windows update (but this does not always work well.) Don't forget to enable your wired (Ethernet) connection for this. 5 You could try another USB or PCI wireless network adapter if you have one handy 5 They are cheap to buy, a pound or two or a dollar or 4... 6 Its often better/possible/cheaper to borrow one from a chum..try it out before spending any money! If its a USB version then don't forget to install the driver BEFORE you insert the network adapter into a USP port Regards paws.

Edited by paws, 29 April 2012 - 02:44 PM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 dreux

dreux

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hi paws, first, I'm linked to the internet with my laptop, not the desktop. the report generated by your program on the desktop I tried to load to a cd but that didn't work so that's why I copied it by typing it on the laptop. second, I removed then reinstalled the software for the wireless lan but that didn't work either. it just keeps connecting and disconnecting like before so my conclusion is that there might be something wrong with the antenna. I ordered a new one like you suggest and will go from there. thanks again for all you help. later..........dreux