This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

'Disc Read Error' problem at bootup failure

29 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

After downloading a Microsoft update which included a "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" and two "XP Security Updates" then attempting to restart the computer, I got a "Disc Read Error - Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" on black screen. This did not work however and just returned to the same error message which appeared straight after the black HP screen.
Prior to this the computer was clean and working perfectly.

This is a HP Compaq nx8220 laptop running Windows XP Prof SP3 .

I tried re-booting but this brought up the same "Disk Read Error" directly after the Black HP screen.
I tried pressing F8 to switch to start in Safe Mode at the HP screen but this did nothing and the Error message still occurred.

I am certain this occurred as a direct result of downloading the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.

I then put in my Windows XP disk and pressed enter at the messsage "start from CD" which started the Windows Setup on blue screen and it continued to run Setup. I have now reached a screen which says Welcome to Setup and presents the options to either 1. Setup XP now. or 2. Repair XP installation using Recovery Console. or 3. Quit Setup without installing XP.

At this point I need some expert help.
I do not think I want to be loading the whole of XP over the top of my existing system.
I assume a repair route using Recovery Console might be a way to go to get my system up and running again, however I know nothing about Recovery Console except that it is installed on my computer.

Added to this I have no idea why I got a Disk Read Error problem in the first place (strongly suspect Windows Update) or how to fix it.
Can someone give me some assistance here please.

regards
bar457

I tried pressing F8 to switch to start in Safe Mode at the HP screen but this did nothing and the Error message still occurred.


Did nothing?

Did F8 get you to the Windows Advanced Options Menu?

If so, then please select "Last known Good Configuration" - enter
________________

If that is not successful, then we may be able to use System Restore from your Recovery Console
But please take it one-step-at-a-time, by attempting "Last known Good Configuration" as your first step.
Hi Doug Thanks for responding to my topic. No, F8 did nothing and the error message came on screen the same as when I did not press F8. I would have tried 'Last Known Good Configuration' or something else if I could have got to the Advanced Options Menu. I think System Restore would be a good step if we can get to that from the Recovery Console.
Hi bar 457,
Until Doug gets back to you, I did notice you said this:

I tried pressing F8 to switch to start in Safe Mode at the HP screen but this did nothing and the Error message still occurred.

To get into safe mode (last good config) you need to access the Advanced Menu. To do this try the following:

1 Immediately after pressing the "Power on" button to start your computer from a powered down situation, start tapping F8 regularly once per second and you should get to the Advanced menu( in black)

2 you may need to try this several times as its important you start tapping F8 immediately and before Windows start to load. Its sometimes difficult to get the timing right!
If you cant get into Advanced mode after trying several times post back and one of us . will advise the next steps
Regards
paws
Hi No, I have tried this numerous times as I said ( I have done this many times before), but it is not responding to F8 and just brings up the HP screen followed immediately by the Disk Read Error.
Scroll down to section C. (highlighted in yellow) here and follow the instructions to use the recovery console command CHKDSK /R and then the command FIXBOOT which should re-establish F8 boot options.

Cheers,
Lee
bar457

Sorry you are having this difficulty.

First, let's be realistic and cautious about your present situation.

Coincidences "do happen". :(

Even though your experience leads you to believe that the present "disk read error" is subsequent to and realated to a possibly botched MS Update, it "does remain possible" that a more serious disk failure of unknown origin has occurred at this time and in a way that suggests other causes.

These other causes may be remedied through procedures as suggested by my collegues here in posts above.
In fact, had I been more prompt I might already have suggested the same course of action.

The linked information can also be found in our own Forums, here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=105819
And the additional recommendation by Lee, to use FixBoot, is a promising suggestion.
I am hopeful for you that the remedy is that easy.

As to "caution" please keep in mind that if the machine has experienced some sort of Hard Drive failure, then any important information, media, and files that you may have saved to the hard drive in question may be at risk.

You should consider measures to protect those files and information if they are important to you.

How?

A couple of possibilities…

— remove the Hard Drive and fit it as slave in a known good machine for purpose of copy/paste saving any important files.
— use of a Linux live-boot distro such a Linux Puppy to copy and save the files onto cd/dvd or external hard drive.

You have some excellent helpers, and well advised courses of action, already here in these previous posts.
Please keep us posted with your progress and solution.
Ok, I have run the CHKDSK /R and FIXBOOT sections which did not cure the problem as the error still occurred and F8 did not function on startup. Moving on to restore the registry in the second part of the procedure I had a problem. First my Compaq nx8220 does not produce the ~ from the appropriate key(shift+hash) as required in the fix text PART2 -2. The text required is :- Cd system~1\_resto~1 So I tried the second option using REN SYSTEM SYSTEM.BAK but this said the file/directory could not be found. So I have not been able to restore the registry. Not sure what to do here as I am still at the C:\> prompt. Should I pass by on to the next section 3. to attempt a restore point ?
Hi Bar457,

First my Compaq nx8220 does not produce the ~ from the appropriate key(shift+hash)

More roadblocks. Sorry.

Unfortunately, it is required to use the exact character and syntax for commands when using Recovery Console.

For instance, you cannot use %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe because that is the command syntax to be used when booted into Windows Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Since you are working from Recovery Console, you are "outside" of Windows and must use the correct character ____ ~ _______
___________________________

Just to check and confirm…

Have you taken steps to preserve any important files, information, media, which is presently saved on this machine?
sorry to butt in, you know windows isn't my area, but after he's sure he has everything backed up wouldn't he be better off using the install option when he boots the cd instead of going the recovery console route? when it finds an os already installed on the drive, doesn't it give a repair os option? shrugs. :popcorn:
Yes Terry, a repair install can be done using the installation CD which does not alter programs or data, but there is always the risk that something will go wrong and ALL personal data that may still be on the HD, will be lost. This risk is magnified when there exists an unknown problem with the OS where even F8 boot options cannot be accessed by normal means.

If valuable data on the HD cannot be rescued by any attempt, even using Puppy Linux, or the OS cannot be made to work again, it would be prudent to remove the HD and replace it with a new one and do a fresh XP install. The original HD could then be connected as a slave HD (to any computer) and valuable data rescued, if possible.

This microsoft support article How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
is worth reading first before any repair install is attempted.

PS edit:
If there is important data on the HD please see Recover files from Windows XP using Puppy Linux


Cheers,
Lee
Just a side note to this thread. Sometimes F8 does not work as it is usurped by the manufacturer for other purposes. When this happens, try F5.
Sorry, I have not been getting emails advising there is a reply since Friday morning, until now when I just got the one from Rich (Ztruker).
This appears to be a much more serious problem than I thought, as I had hoped with you guys help I would be able to fix this.
I still feel this was caused by the MS Update as I had a good working system and in fact the hard disk is a new one only about 18 months ago, I had a larger one put in. I can hardly believe this has caused such a major problem which is a struggle to fix.

However I can see many website listings which show this is not an uncommon problem, one of particular interest which discusses similar failed attempts to fix as we are experiencing is:- http://icrontic.com/article/repair_windows_xp

I have not made any backup of data and as I have not done this before without a working operating system, feel a bit apprehensive as it seems you are saying I should be doing this as we are not making the progress we would like. I don't know how this Puppy Linux works but will need to read it to find out I guess, I assume it enables me to download and save the program to CD and then use this to allow back up to a DVD (a CD would not be big enough).
I do have important files which include a contact database in Outlook Contacts folders.

Please note that my F8 has worked fine on this computer before to access the Advanced Menu. Part of the particular problem I am experiencing seems to commonly prevent reaching Advance Menu.
This is turning out to be the biggest computer problem I have ever had.

I do very much appreciate the efforts and assistance you guys are providing to try to help me to fix this.

I will read your link to Puppy Linux. Thought I might try the FIXBOOT method again but am guessing this is not a good idea as it will keep adding duplicate boot sectors to the disk.
Here is another link for using Puppy Linux. The one Lee gave you is excellent though as it has lots of pictures to show what is happening.

Edit: Added link (thanks Terry)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI