This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

S.M.A.R.T Repair Virus [Solved]

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I don't know how it happened, but I have a virus on my computer. There are a lot of popup messages, a GUI that says it is scanning the system. I have no internet connection on the computer, I tried to do a system restore and it was unsuccessful. I tried to run a virus scan with Antivir, and it finished without finding the virus. I tried downloading Hijackthis and installing it with a USB drive, I also tried to install Malwarebytes both from safe mode. I got a message both times saying that security settings from the Administrator prevented the installation. I tried setting an IP address, gateway, and dns and still could not get online with that computer. Also, the start menu is blank. How can I get HJT installed so that I can post it for analysis? How can I get internet connection working again? How can I get the links back on my start menu? Thank you for your help. Veronica
Hello veronica_ellis and :welcome:

My name is JonTom

  • Malware Logs can sometimes take a lot of time to research and interpret.
  • Please be patient while I try to assist with your problem. If at any time you do not understand what is required, please ask for further explanation.
  • Please note that there is no "Quick Fix" to modern malware infections and we may need to use several different approaches to get your system clean.
  • Read every reply you receive carefully and thoroughly before carrying out the instructions. You may also find it helpful to print out the instructions you receive, as in some instances you may have to disconnect your computer from the Internet.
  • PLEASE NOTE: If you do not reply after 3 days your thread will be closed.

Also, the start menu is blank

We will try to get your start menu items back. Please do not use any automated temporary file cleaners at this time.

I have no internet connection on the computer, I tried to do a system restore and it was unsuccessful

Do you have access to another machine?

If you are unable to connect to the net with the infected machine you will need to use an uninfected system to download the required tools and then copy them to a flash drive. Once you have done that copy the tools onto the infected machine.

If the machine you use to download the tools runs on XP, please run the following tool first to reduce the chance of cross-infection.

  • Please download Flash Disinfector


    • Click here to download Flash Disinfector and save the file (called Flash_Disinfector.exe) to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Flash_Disinfector.exe icon to run the program and follow any prompts that may appear.
    • The program may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so if prompted.
    • Wait until Flash disinfector has finished scanning and then exit the program.
    • Reboot your computer.


    If it runs on Vista/Win 7, use this one:

  • AutoRun Eater


    • Download Autorun Eater and save it to your desktop.
    • Plug all of your removable storage devices into the machine (USB sticks etc) and run the tool.


    Once you have done that, download the following tools and transfer them to the infected machine. Do not run them from the flash drive (and run them in the order provided):

  • rkill


    • Please download rkill (Courtesy of Bleepingcomputer.com).
    • There are 5 different versions of this tool. If one of them will not run, please try the next one in the list.
    • Note: Vista and Windows 7 Users must right click and select "Run as Administrator" to run the tool.
    • Note: You only need to get one of the tools to run, not all of them.


    1. rkill.exe
    2. rkill.com
    3. rkill.scr
    4. WiNlOgOn.exe
    5. uSeRiNiT.exe

    Note: You will likely see a message from this rogue telling you the file is infected. Ignore the message. Leave the message OPEN, do not close the message.

    Run rkill repeatedly until it's able to do it's job. This may take a few tries.

    You'll be able to tell rkill has done it's job when your desktop (explorer.exe) cycles off and then on again.

  • Unhide


    • Download and run unhide.exe by grinler from here and save the file to your desktop.
    • Run the tool and allow it to complete.

  • Please perform the following scan


    • Please download DDS from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Disable any script blocking protection (How to Disable your Security Programs)
    • Double click on the DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run).
    • When done, DDS.txt will open.
    • After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
    • Save both reports to your desktop.
    • Please post the contents of the DDS.txt and Attach.txt logs in your next reply.

  • aswMBR


    • Download aswMBR.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.
    • When asked if you want to download Avast's virus definitions please select Yes.
    • Click the "Scan" button to start scan.

    [external image: Posted Image]

    • On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply.

    [external image: Posted Image]

    Please post both DDS logs and the aswMBR log in your next reply.

    If you encounter any problems with the scans just come back and let me know.
Hello JonTom, Thank you for your help. However, when I came home today, my husband had taken the computer to the computer repair shop. I'm not sure if they will be able to fix it. Would you please keep this thread open till tomorrow when we get it back. If it's still infected, I'd like to go through the steps you outlined. Can you say why my virus scanner didn't pick it up? I thought Avira was a good virus scanner. Thank you again. Veronica
Hello Veronica

Would you please keep this thread open till tomorrow when we get it back. If it's still infected, I'd like to go through the steps you outlined.

No problem :)

Can you say why my virus scanner didn't pick it up? I thought Avira was a good virus scanner.

Avira is a good program, but no program is perfect (they all have their strengths and weaknesses without exception).

Let me know how the machine is running after you get it back :)
Hi, Fortunately, the computer store just re-installed the operating system and everything is back to normal. Thank you so much for your help and patience. Veronica

Thank you so much for your help and patience

You are Very Welcome Veronica.

I'm glad your machine is back to normal :)

Since this issue appears to be resolved this thread is now closed.

Best wishes

JonTom

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI