This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

occasional freezes

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ahoy
Freezes are occurring every couple-three days. I'll see the mouse stop or disappear. Ctrl-alt-del does not bring up the window. Have to shut down with the power button.
I installed XP home on a new HD several months ago. These freezes started somewhat later. Don't remember exactly how long ago.
Did all the scans with you folks a month or more ago; freezes continued. Just did it again today.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…mp;#entry777500

Was referred to this forum.

denno
Thanks for providing the link from where you have already received excellent help from patndoris

There you received suggestion about uninstalling a couple of BHO's and Updaters.
Plus suggested to possibly make a change in your security solution.

Have you made any of those changes as yet?

You have several possibly unnecessary items running from start menu.
And you have a troubling Torrent Client installed… your choice but a prime vector for problems

When you reinstalled XP on your new Hard Drive, you had the case open. Did you take the opportunity to clean out any dustbunnies with compressed aire?

Since your problem occurs intermittently, it would help to know what activity is going on at the time of onset.
for instance, media editing, gaming, general browsing, office activities, media viewing, etc.

The disappearing mouse could related to more general graphics problems, possibly related to need for driver update, or maybe Heat, particularly if you notice your graphics card fan is not rotatating. (if you have a discrete graphics card. do you?)

How about air flow? All the fans spinning vigorously?
Have you measured temperatures?
If overheating, have you tested with case open and a strong desk fan blowing into the inards of the machine?

these are some of the things that we would need to know and probably investigate furthere, in order to give you any informed recommendations.

Best Regards
Hello Doug Well….lessee…. Changed to MSE. Have asked how to remove BHOs and updater, don't know. Are there "untroubling" torrent clients? Don't know how to use the thing successfully, anyhow. I don't know what-all is on the start menu. No, did not clean out the case. I have not identified any specific activity with the freezes. Today I had just closed some Notepad and Firefox windows. I don't think I have a graphics card, but I don't know for sure. In the morning I will take a flashlight and attempt to count the fans and see if they are running well. Don't know how or where to take the temperature. Tell you the truth (don't yell at me, now!) I've never closed the case back up. I think I was monkeying with the old and the new HDs and never got around to finishing whatever I thought I was doing with them. (Put the old one back in to copy files to the new one). How's that for rather vague information! Thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI