I have just been infected with a virus that changes my homepage to searchnu.com/406. When I start a browser (Chrome, Firefox or I Explorer), my homepage is directed to searchnu.com/406. I have uninstalled the files, deleted the iLivid files and still cannot get the virus off the laptop. I've also run Malware Bytes and while if found and deleted a hijack file, it did not get rid of searchnu.com/406. I'm not sure what to do - can someone provide assistance? Thank you.
I have played a bit with the problem with this virus and found that Malwarebyte (free version) was able to locate the hijack file and I was able to delete it. I was able to change the web browser selection in I Explorer and in Chrome using the options tab - however I was unable to change the web browser selection in Firefox and was forced to uninstall and reinstall a copy of Firefox.
**In any case where you happen to be busy or unable to give us a reply, we would be grateful if you keep us informed in advance and we will be more than happy to wait. Failure to do so we will have your thread closed in THREE(3) days.
Hello there, HoffmannG
I'm Conspire, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.
Please observe these rules while we work:
Read the entire procedure
It is important to perform ALL actions in sequence.
If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
Stick with me till you're given the all clear.
Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process.
IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to. Remember to backup all your important data(if possible) before moving on.
Please download GMER from one of the following locations, and save it to your desktop:
Main Mirror This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
Zip Mirror This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop (applicable only to Zip mirror) .
Double click [external image: Posted Image] or [external image: Posted Image] on your desktop.
If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO. [external image: Posted Image]
[external image: Posted Image] Click the image to enlarge it
In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
IAT/EAT
Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
Show All (don't miss this one)
Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and attach it in your reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries