Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

1000 emails returned, I did not send

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BenS

BenS

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

On a web-based email system (buffalo.com), i see my inbox is inundated with returned mail, that I did not send. All mail seems to be sent to addresses ending .ru There are perhaps 1000 returned emails with fatal errors. My sent box has nothing being sent. Some emails were delivered, as there are 2 responses, in Russian: 1) привет пиши жду 07 марта 2012, 07:16 от Ольга Сьянова <zzzz@buffalo.com>: > привета Ярослава рекомендовала мне адресс и-мейл твой!!)) > отакрой мою страфницу pdjzsjvezl.nightmail.ruЖаночка..Сиянина меня там зовут..) > если скучаешь!!) > 2) не могу к тебе зайти 07 марта 2012, 07:59 от Вика Маслак <zzzz@buffalo.com>: > Здаров, Марта мне скинула твой адресс электронки.!))) > заходи на мою страничку subaqtwbhiog.nm.ruАлиса,Рыжанова меня ищи!))) > если есть желание знакомства...!!!))) > As a precaution, I changed the password on the account, thinking someone must have hacked the account. Is it possible my computer could have been hacked as well? I have AVG up to date, no Virus shows. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

Hi Ben S, and welcome to the WTT forums...sorry to hear about the email problem.
This is always a bit disconcerting especially when you are faced with the .ru suffix!

I think you are wise to change your password on your email account, and hopefully you have chosen a reasonably strong one...?and have made a note to change it regularly?

Spammers will usually pick an email address at random for any of the undeliverable "special offers" to be returned to..... obviously they will not want them being returned to themselves, so they just pick an address and use that! it looks as though you might be the unlucky owner of the email address that they chose... :(

The Russian text you gave mostly refers to "undeliverable e mails" so this ties in quite well with the above.

If you want a malware fighter to check your machine to see if any undesirable elements have have penetrated your computers defences then have a look here and follow the directions carefully:
http://forums.whatth...howtopic=106388
once your computer has been declared free from infections post back here in this forum if you are still having issues with it and we will do our best to help
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Changing your password is a very good start, and is recommended practise on a regular basis, and remember to NEVER use personal details such as names, dates, pets etc, and mix it up using upper and lower case letters, and characters for the strongest password, needless to say make sure you remember it or you could lock yourself out. Now as to the issue at hand, there are probably more causes for this than I could mention, but with any such matter like this a check up from the pro's is always a good move, even if only for peace of mind, so read the pinned threads at the top of the virus section, and follow the advice for posting, please be patient they are busy people and it may be a few days before they can get to you, but they will get there, hopefully they can help see if there is anything they can spot, hope it helps. *edit You snuck in when I was searching paws lol, I was trying to find a link to check email addresses, but couldn't find it, been a long time since I used it.

Edited by 8210GUY, 08 March 2012 - 08:25 AM.

Braindead

#4 BenS

BenS

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thanks very much for reply 8210GUY. I ran virus program (AVG) and dl and ran Malwarebytes. System seems clean. I am reasonably satisfied my computer was not compromised, only that email account. It was an email alias I use for ordering online, etc. I am thinking I may have given an unscrupulous site my email. Like an idiot, I keep all passwords the same, so if this is the case, I probably unwittingly gave them my email password as well, if I signed up with them (using the same password for their site). I updated password and all seems good. I will be much more cautious in the future!

#5 BenS

BenS

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

wanted to edit because my post meant to include paws! Thank you both vm for the time and effort!

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

:thumbup: Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Like an idiot, I keep all passwords the same

your not the only one, lots of people do and in my opinion that must be one of the biggest reasons/easiest ways for people getting their identities stolen.

at least now you know better and will use strong and different passwords for everything. ;)

must admit one of my biggest failings is, even tho i have strong and different passwords, i don't change them regularly either, and i know better. :blush:

:popcorn:

#8 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

Your not alone terry1966, but the way I figure it with the pass I use it would take years to figure it out, and I can't see anyone being that desperate to get into my stuff, so I am comfortable in the passwords I use to do what I need, but if the worst happened then it's only myself to blame.

Braindead