Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Right Click problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drnelson

drnelson

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hello, Everytime I right click on my desktop the cursor does the whole loading animation on the cursor wont go away. It seems to trigger something through out my whole computer, making it very slow and un responsive. It lags after every 6 seconds and programs will crash. I noticed this also when I run Mcafee internet security 2012. Everything is going well until the scan reaches 18 percent... Then that slow 6 second lag starts again, and programs start crashing again. Even when i tried to defrag my system... same thing... 6 second lag and programs crashing. This started happening 1 day and the only thing i installed McAfee internet security 2012 and updated windows essentials. Other than that, right click works everywhere else But on the main desktop screen; if I wanted to go to the menu to create a new folder. If i don't click on the main desktop screen everything is fine and perfect but it is kinda annoying... So throw at me what ever you got. I would appreciate it. Thanks!!! David Nelson

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

Uninstall McAfee internet security 2012, does the problem go away? If so switch to another anti-virus program. I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials. If that doesn't fix it then do a System Restore to before the problem started, see if that fixes it.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 drnelson

drnelson

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hello, I uninstalled Mcafee internet security 2012 and I'm having the same problems. I also did a system restore and still having the same problems. I still notice that every time I do a scan of some sort the computer start lagging every 6 seconds and programs crash. The right click still stars the lag ONLY when i right click on the desktop screen. What else should I do? Thanks!!! David Nelson

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Rich

#5 drnelson

drnelson

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

OK, so I did all 3 these things... I still get the same results. The only thing that changed is now on my start up... there is a box in my desktop that says Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor 2.0 stopped working... Please try restarting intel turbo boost technology monitor 2.0... I don't know if this has to do with what instructions you gave to me or no but now it has popped up after I did what you told me to do. So I need to restart this turbo boost technology thing or you have any suggestions? Thanks! David Nelson

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

That must have been one (or more) of the Startup or Service entries you disabled. You'll have to go back into msconfig and see if there are any entries for Turbo Boost Technology Monitor. Did disabling things solve the right click problem? That was the whole reason to go through these steps. If yes then you need to start enabling them a few at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

Rich

#7 drnelson

drnelson

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Yes I did the steps but still the right click problem is still there. I downloaded Microsoft security essentials and had the same problem when i scanned my computer. My computer would lag every 6 seconds and programs would crash. This was about 18 percent into the scan. Just like when I right click. Maybe I am doing your directions wrong? I clicked on disable all on start up tab and service tab. i restarted my computer and i tried the right click and the problem was still there.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

I would go back to msconfig and enable everything then as that seems to have had no effect. How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? Any change? If no difference, try creating a new Administrator level account. Logoff your current account and login as the new account. Does the problem happen then? Click Start then Control Panel then User Accounts and Family Safety then User Accounts. Click on Manage another account then Create a new account. Select the Administrator button then Create Account. Once it's created, then Logoff. Login with the new account. Do you still have the problem? If no help go back into User Account and delete the new one you created. What kind of mouse do you have, wired or wireless? Do you have your data backed up as it may be necessary to reinstall Windows 7 or restore it to factory new state.

Rich