This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to Update Software + Unable to Backup Files.

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

1. When I purchased this computer, it came with a program (HP Support Assistant). For the past two or so weeks, HP Support Assistant would try to update itself when the computer was started up. And it would always fail.
I would always get this error:
"Welcome to HP Support Assistant Upgrade -
An Error has occurred. HP Support Assistant will attempt to upgrade at a later time. You can also go to: www.hp.com/go/hpsupportassistant to download the latest version of HP Support Assistant."

Another HP Support Assistant window opens up, telling me about Important pending action (Backing up important data, creating recovery disc set, downloading the new HP Support assistant.)
If I click on HP support Assistant for it to go again, the cycle repeats.

If I go directly to the site to download the updated version, I'd get this error:
"Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update.
Update has been cancelled. (9996)"

Here's the thread in another forum, where I was requesting help.
Jintan himself advised that I post here, as I would receive more help.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…21619&st=15
Logs and other info is also in this thread.

2. My other problem has to do with backups.
My external HDD has its own Backup software, so some of my files are already backed up (music, pictures, etc.)

However, my computer's backup thing doesn't work.
Every time I try, I get this error:

A shadow copy could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information.
Details: Insufficient storage available to create either shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data.
Error Code: 0x81000019

My system:
Hewlett-Packard

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Intel Core i3 530 @2.93 GHz
8192 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeFore GT 220 GPU
1TB HDD
model is p6334f

Harddrive is an HP Portable SimpleSave Harddrive.


Any help would be greatly appreciated.
And please let me know if there are preliminary logs that I should have, that I don't have.
This is the first time I've posted in this forum (The Windows section anyway), and I'm not sure if things are done differently here.
From your other thread:

Alright, so I attempted to install .NET 2,
And I get the error,
"You must use "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Control Panel to install or configure Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1"

I go to "Turn Windows features on or off", and see Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, but no Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1…


Windows 7, includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component that includes NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes. It's a bundle combined under "NET Framework 3.5.1" W7 features. You won't see them separately listed.

None of the above NET Frameworks need to be installed as they are already part of your W7 OS or your OS is corrupt.

In control panel / programs and features / under Turn Windows features on or off, you should see NET Framework 3.5.1 marked as a solid blue square. If not. mark it (enable it) and then re-boot.

This needs to be checked first before any other issue is looked at.

Cheers,
Lee
That is good news.

I would uninstall HP "Support Assistant" and any other HP pre-installed programs except HP software installs to do with HP peripherals that may be connected to your PC (printers and scanners etc).

The best way to do this is to download and run PC Decrapifier to remove the junkware that is loaded into your operating system by the PC manufacturer. Anything you decide to keep can easily be done so as a Wizard will guide you through this simple to use program.

Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit:
A list of pre-installed programs that may be on your HP computer that you definitely do not need (commonly known as junkware or bloatware):

HP Software Update
HP Advisor
My HP Games
HP Setup
PC Alerts
PC Dashboard
PC Discovery
PC Dock
HP Customer Experience Enhancements
HP MediaSmart DVD
HP MediaSmart Demo
HP MediaSmart Movie Themes
HP MediaSmart Music/Photo/Video
HP Odometer
HP Remote Solution
HP Support Assistant
HP Support Information
HP Update
Homepage Protection
Picture Mover
Power2Go
PowerDirector
I wouldn't hurt to defrag. your drive now that you have successfully unloaded all the junk. Do you still have any problems with your PC? Cheers, Lee
There are some fixes here Cannot Backup error 0x81000019. Cannot create shadow copy… for the Windows 7 backup problem.

Also, check this:

Start> Right click Computer> Manage
Select Storage> Disk management
Verify that you have a System Reserved partition of 100 MB
If yes, right click on this volume and select Properties.
View used and free space.

You must have around 40 MB free space for backup to complete successfully. This is what mine looks lie:

📎Disk_Management.jpg

If you don't have a System Reserved partition then ignore this.

Above taken from here: "Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy
@Lee: Abnormally slow startup (black screen for 2 or so minutes, before log on screen, followed by another minute with a "Preparing Desktop" message). This will either lead to my desktop, and everything works fine, or another black screen, where I'll have to reboot. Plus the backup thing, which Ztrucker seems to be helping me with @Ztrucker: It has only 37.6 MB of free space.
As Rich has dipped his toe in the water, I'll leave the back-up thingy for him to follow-up on :thumbup:

Slow start-up issue.
Try booting to safe mode with networking (start tapping the F8 key straight after pressing the boot-up button).

If you still experience the same problem, re-boot in normal mode.
Go to Start and then to Run.
Type in chkdsk /r
Note the space between k and /
Click Enter …It will ask if you want to do this on the next reboot…click Y and then Enter.
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own, then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation.

Note …there are 5 stages for the program to complete.
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back-up and go over the same area…this is normal…
Note: Do not shut-down your computer while chkdsk is running or interfere in any way as this may cause serious problems.
This can take up to several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem.
—————————————————————————————————————–

If you do not experience the extra slow start-up issue when booting to safe mode, then there may be a start-up program(s) causing the problem.

Firstly though, lets try removing any unnecessary programs from start-up as this may be the simplest fix.

Download StartupLite by Malwarebytes to your Desktop.
Doubleclick StartupLite.exe to launch the program.
Ensure the Disable box is checked.
Click Continue.
A pop up message will tell you the unnecessary startup items in your list have been disabled and ask you to restart your computer.

Let me know if this fixes the problem.

Cheers,
Lee
@Lee: I tried the chkdsk /r thing. A black box rapidly appeared in the top left corner of my screen, and then nothing happened. I tried this a few times, but the same result ensues each time. @Ztrucker: The image is attached.

@Lee: I tried the chkdsk /r thing.
A black box rapidly appeared in the top left corner of my screen, and then nothing happened.
I tried this a few times, but the same result ensues each time.


I assume you tried to run chkdsk /r because when you booted to safe mode with networking, you still had the same issue?
If not, run StartupLite (it would be a good idea to run it anyway).

Cheers,
Lee
@zTrucker: That page you gave me was for Windows XP (I'm not sure if it works for Windows 7. It says to open "System Properties," but I don't seem to be able to find that anywhere). So, seeing as you listed alternatives to the backup bundled with Windows 7, it isn't necessary to backup with the Windows 7 software, correct? One of those alternatives will suffice @Lee: Yes. Ran StartupLite, and it found nothing unecessary.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI