Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93078 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

When will Windows XP become unsupported?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

Ally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:13 AM

Hi Guys, I am still running xp home edition on my desktop and was wondering when I will have to upgrade to Windows 7? Someone told me xp is not going to be supported sometime in the future. thanks and Merry Xmas! :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

Support for XP SP2 has already ended. Support for XP SP3 will end in April 2014. So if you have not installed SP3, you should do that immediately.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 Ally

Ally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

Thanks Digerati, Merry Christmas!

#4 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

And Happy New Year!
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#5 Felecia

Felecia

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

Hi there.
These are kinda sad news.
I got used to Windows XP.
I tried Vista and 7, but didn't like them at all.
Edit by paws: Active link removed from sig.

Edited by paws, 28 December 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

@Felecia I have edited out the active link you posted as its not adding anything to the topic... Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

I have Windows 7 Pro X64 on both of my computers. When I have to use an XP computer now it feels old and clunky, a lot like Windows 98 felt after using XP for a while. Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft has ever released. I like the UI, it's easily and endlessly customizable and so far (2 years) I've not had a single BSOD (knock knock knock). It's been rock solid. I know it's hard to change but sometimes it's for the better and this is one of those times. It takes a little while to get used to it but once you do you will not want to go back. My main suggestion for people moving from XP to Windows 7 is: Don't try to make it look and feel like XP. Get used to the UI changes and learn to use them. Embrace Libraries, they can be very helpful. Don't try to tweak it like you had to do with XP. Win 7 runs very well asis. Give it the hardware resources it needs. 2GB or better processor, preferably dual core or better, 4GB ram and a fast (7200RPM or SSD) boot drive.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#8 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

I agree with Rich and would like to add that security alone is reason enough to migrate to Windows 7. XP was designed when security was an afterthought. Windows 7 was designed with security first and foremost. And 64-bit Windows 7 is even more secure than 32-bit Windows 7. I personally recommend 64-bit Windows and 8Gb of RAM as the "sweetspot" (6Gb for triple-channel memory architecture motherboards). If you never got used to Vista, then going from XP to Windows 7 is a bit a learning curve, but I again agree with Rich - give it fair chance to get used to it and you will soon find (and realize) how archaic XP is. It is human nature to prefer the status quo, but XP was designed over 10 years ago. It is time to move on.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#9 cherrywarrior

cherrywarrior

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

Hi Ally, I think the support for service pack 2 has already ended. SP 3 will be supported till 2014. Thank you.

#10 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

Supported or not by Microsoft, as long as there is software and driver support it will be around for a lot longer than 2014, just like 98 seemed to keep on going (and still is in many parts of the world).

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#11 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

Supported or not by Microsoft, as long as there is software and driver support it will be around for a lot longer than 2014, just like 98 seemed to keep on going (and still is in many parts of the world).

And on a stand-alone machine, or on a network that has NO Internet connection, that may be fine. But since Microsoft will stop releasing critical security updates in April 2014 for XP, it would not be wise to use a XP machine for Internet access, or even on a network that has Internet access.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#12 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

And on a stand-alone machine, or on a network that has NO Internet connection, that may be fine. But since Microsoft will stop releasing critical security updates in April 2014 for XP, it would not be wise to use a XP machine for Internet access, or even on a network that has Internet access.

I agree about it not being "wise", but since when has there ever been an oversupply of wisdom?.
As I said and considering the economic situation that is effecting so many and not just in the US, XP will still be around long after 2014. Do you really think everyone is going to run out and buy W7 or disconnect from the Internet in April 2014, just because XP is no longer supported by Microsoft? :rofl:

Edited by Lee, 10 January 2012 - 01:25 PM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#13 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

As I said and considering the economic situation that is effecting so many and not just in the US, XP will still be around long after 2014. Do you really think everyone is going to run out and buy W7 or disconnect from the Internet in April 2014, just because XP is no longer supported by Microsoft?

They don't have to buy anything if they want to keep using their antiquated hardware. They can install one of the many free Linux alternatives. By 2014, Windows 7 will have been replaced by a much more secure Windows 8 or even Windows 9. If someone still wants to run an XP box on the Internet (assuming the HW still runs) - that is, with a 14 year old operating system designed to run on insecure hardware from 10 years before that, that goes beyond unwise and to the point of foolish stupidity. The only saving grace they may have by then is the fact badguys will be focused on Android devices and [hopefully] will not be seeking out new vulnerabilities in XP to exploit. Which I might add, is why Windows 98 machines are relatively safe - not a lot of malicious code was developed for it. But sadly, malicious XP code will be around for some time to come.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────