This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

write protected zip/thumb/flash drive

145 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I understand your comments. The slow deletions of files is only half the problem, the other half being the "write protected" status that pops up whenever I go to save to that drive or attempt to move/delete any files on there. Because that represents over 8500 files of work/info/images it is a major problem. Something had to flip that on, so is there a way to flip that off aside from reformatting? If moving the files to a different drive keeps the files, allows a reformat of the problem device and solves all this I'm all for it. So I'll move forward with your last suggestion. Pls post up if you can think of a something that might correct the "write protected" problem.
As a guess, the write protection occurred due to path issues related to files on that drive. Maybe installing a program, but directing it's files to be saved to the usb drive. If you can delete those particular items we have been discussing all along, it may resolve that issue.
After going back and following your process in an earlier post, I was able to go as far as rebooting with the "new" USB device with xPUD loaded into the E: drive USB port. I removed that and inserted the problem USB device into the other USB drive (they go into different ports). That's where I was unable to follow anything else. It mounted, but I was unable to go to file, expand mnt, and see and/or delete any specific file or directory in the F: drive. I tried to delete the file and directory you specified via My Computer, Windows Explorer directory. None would permit it as the drive is "write protected." Please post if I mishandled the process. I thought this was about my recent Magic Jack installation, but with the 2009 date on the file I had to find out for sure. The .inf file opened in Notepad. Turns out the .inf file works in tandem with the SMRTNTKY directory you suggested deleting, and both work with my wireless installation. We may need to re-think that. Looking back over your posts, perhaps my moving the thumb drives to/from different ports corrupted something . . . what usually went into F: occasionally went into E: . . . ? However, the net net here is that .jpg's are still slowly greying out to become a black nothing and I cannot manage the entire 8MB Verbatim USB drive. Could the owner of a .jpg file I copied have embedded something that would time bomb that file? I receive files from folks (sports, personal events, etc.), pals back in a former city, real estate stuff, and from camera guys in our sports media company, perhaps these are protections. I have heard about this problem before from others who said the only solution was a re-format. But if I copied everything from the F: drive USB device to the new E: drive USB device I wonder if I am merely moving the problem over, and will hit the "write protect" problem again.
It would have been mnt/sdb1 or sdb2 perhaps. You can remove the xPUD usb (the program is loaded to RAM), and then insert the problem usb in the same usb port, and see if that works.

If you have actually been installing programs, but directing their functional files to this usb drive, you really set the stage for problems. Yes, one change of the letter assignment for the usb drive, and then trying to use the installed program, would start corruption occurring. It may be more likely some file path on that usb drive is seen by Windows as a location on a networked drive, so causing this write protect glitch (unless Verbatims have an actual small switch to enable/disable write protect - most of my usb's are various cheap generics, so nothing fancy). I took a look, and some Verbatims include software that protects files, so could be that as well. No, again, no malware fades/deletes .jpg files, so no altered files from friends would be involved. Just cannot install programs, then save their functional files to any external drives. May have caused corruption on your system as well by now.

I sense I likely have offered what I might on this one. One person's input is really contrary to the benefits of having this great all-user help forums, so you may want to also follow this up here.
After several attempts I still cannot access anything new under xPUD. I went back several steps and tried Inherit. Same result, nothing opened or performed. All the file downloads you recommended were saved to the C: hard drive in desktop. The problem you might be imagining with that is not there. I only save new files related to my day to day in F:. If they need updates, like an Excel ss, those are re-saved anew to F:. I'll go to the next stage via the link you posted. You had me delete my AV program and Threatfire, do you have any suggestions on replacements? Finally, do I need to delete any files or porograms we installed? Sincere thanks on all your help. Never figured a fictitious "write protect" would be so difficult.
Why write-protect kicks in when files on a usb may have incorrect paths, or be picked up as maybe located on a networked drive (my guesses), I don't know. Haven't run into the situation that often. I realize I did leave out one method available though. If you allowed it ComboFix will have installed built-in access to the recovery Console. This would show as a new bootup screen, providing an option between that and your windows install. Assuming it is there:

Reboot, and at the options screen select the following hilighted option:

Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

After you enter the number for the appropriate Windows installation (usually #1), you should be at the C:\Windows\> prompt.

At the prompt type the following, pressing Enter after each:

set allowallpaths = TRUE

set allowremovablemedia = TRUE


Insert the problem usb drive. See if you can change to that drive, and access it there.

First, see if you can have the system correct drive errors. At the prompt type the following, pressing Enter after each:

chkdsk f /p /r

That "f" may need to be changed to whichever drive letter the usb has been assigned then. If "e" is not a CD-ROM/DVD drive, it may now be that. If check disk does run, just allow it to complete. Either way, then type the following, pressing Enter after each:

cd f: (again - not sure if "f" is correct)

dir

See if you can get the system to display the files. If so, try changing something on the drive.

copy c:\windows\notepad.exe f:\notepad.exe

See if that copies.
Jintan, Been up against tough schedules, will perform your latest step tonight or tomorrow a.m. Glad to see you hanging tough, stay tuned.
Jintan, Please excuse the delay, was shooting some TV segments for presentations to networks and on website. Things were/are overloaded with details and deadlines. Am back, will follow up on your latest post today.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI