This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

word

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Win 7x64, I cannot "save as" desktop. I did a system restore. Please see the attachment for the error message. How can I rectify this? Thank you Peter
Somehow, you have lost permission to write this file.

Is it an existing file you are trying to overwrite, or are you trying to create a new file on the desktop?

What happens if you right-click on your desktop and create a "new -> text document?" Are you told you need administrator permissions and then prompted to accept first?

Probably the simplest solution would be to run Office "As Administrator", by right clicking the word icon and choosing to Run As Administrator.

But, a permanent fix should be to reset the apparently messed up permissions on your desktop folder.

To do so, open an elevated command prompt by finding it on your start menu -> programs -> accessories -> command prompt. Right-click it, choose "Run As Administrator"

At the command prompt, copy and paste the following command:
cacls "%userprofile%\desktop" /T /E /C /G "%username%:F"
and press ENTER.

Be patient while it processes. It may take a minute if you have a lot of files saved on your desktop.

Then try to create/edit/save files on your desktop.
You mean, when you executed the command it went right back to a:

C:\Windows\System32 > prompt?

You didn't see any output from the command?

Are you still unable to create a new file on the desktop?

What you describe does confirm you do not have proper permissions on your desktop folder.

Lets go ahead and get a bit more aggressive and get it reset properly.

Open up My Computer, and navigate to C:\Users\
Inside that folder you will see several user folders, like desktop, documents, videos, etc. We are interested in the Desktop folder.
Right-click it and choose properties.
Click the security tab.
Click the Advanced button.
Click the Owner tab.
Click Edit.
Select your name from the list, select replace owner on subcontainers and objects, then click OK on each window until you are back to My Computer.

If My Computer is not open, make sure it is open and navigate back to C:\Users\
Find the Desktop folder again, right-click it, select properties, and then click the security tab.
Click Advanced.
Click the Permissions tab.
Click Change Permissions.
Select Include inheritable permissions from this objects parents.
Select Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object.
Click OK multiple times until you are back to My Computer, and finally, close My Computer.


Now you should have the proper access to your desktop folder.
I did not get your message in time,I am sorry you had so much to do. I performed a recovery of two weeks with Acronis and the issue is resolved. I cannot however copy to a word doc with a right click. I ned to do cc and cv. This is new. Thank you
I would recommend you to run a in-depth virus scan on your computer or re-install windows, because when I had these problems it was usually some bug in Windows or a Worm virus…
The issue I mentioned in my last post about not being able to right click to copy etc has resolved itself once I ran Office once.and after the recovery with Acronis..
Now, Office seems to be running well.

I run Norton and Malware Bytes regularly and they come up clean.

I did not know you could uninstall office.
Do you just uninstall it in add/remove, go to MS to install it and then call M.S. to reactivate it with the 25 character code?



Thank you for your continued suppport.
Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI