Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Need help -- ping.exe hogs CPU [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 alanic

alanic

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Hello, Thanks for this great board. Here is my situation: I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 and I'm using Ad-Aware as the only protection from viruses and malware. (I'm open to free suggestions) I ran an infected .exe. I scanned the .exe with Ad-Aware after the fact. It found some Trojan in it. I forgot exactly what trojan it was, sorry. Later Ad-Aware started to inform me that it blocked harmful processes called uhcd.exe, wtsx.exe, etc. Then I saw that these two executables were eating up CPU time: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\PING.EXE (with modification date in 2009) C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\McAfee.exe (not 100% sure about the full path but it's close. modification time was today.) McAfee was definitely suspicious. Its description in task manager was "Pub Inhale". Windows didn't let me end the process, but I unlocked it and removed it. I also rebooted. Now PING.EXE starts and eats up CPU time. I keep ending its process so my fan quiets down, but it starts again in exactly 3 minutes. I looked at it with process explorer and a particular instance of svchost.exe process was starting it. I ended that process and this time it took about 6 minutes for the next PING.EXE to reappear... Before seeing the step-by-step instructions here on what logs to upload, I went ahead of myself and ran aswMBR.exe, which had found Win32:Malware-gen in c:\windows\system32\consrv.dll. I didn't continue since it was taking too long. (The logs that I'm attaching are after the last time I ran aswMBR.exe) I'm attaching logs of DDS, HiJackThis and OTL to this post. The last time I ran OTL it didn't create extras.txt. I have an old one and can upload that if you want. I didn't want to upload the old one not to create confusion. Please take a look and tell me what to do. You are awesome.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Blade81

Blade81

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:Floorball, football, music, computers..
  • MVP

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

Hi

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix tool:

http://www.bleepingc...to-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully first.

Please continue as follows:

• Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix, link
    Remember to re-enable them afterwards.

• Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include the following reports for further review, and so we may continue cleansing the system:

C:\ComboFix.txt
New dds log.

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 ASAP & UNITE member since 2006

#3 alanic

alanic

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:52 AM

Thank you so much! I did it and ping.exe doesn't seem to be coming up anymore. I want to make sure I'm completely clean of this stuff. I'm attaching the logs that you requested. What program should I use so that this does not happen again? Avast? Another question: All those .vshost.exe files under "File Replicators" in ComboFix.txt, are they infected files? If so I need to warn the user I got them from. Btw, that's not where my problem originated, I think I never ran those files. Thank you so much, awaiting further instructions on what to do or whether I'm clean now.

Attached Files

#4 Blade81

Blade81

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • MVP

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

What program should I use so that this does not happen again? Avast?

One reason behind your infection may have been outdated software. In addition to antivirus & firewall protection it's important to keep system updated. I'll give you some final tips later. There're some steps I want you to take first.

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=121208
Suspect::[76]
C:\windows\dtmn.exe
C:\windows\kdhr.exe

Save this as
CFScript

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

Posted Image

Close all browser windows and refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe (let the tool to update itself if prompted).
Then post the resultant log.

Uninstall vulnerable Flash versions by following instructions here. Fresh version can be obtained here.

Uninstall this old Java:
Java™ SE Development Kit 6 Update 27

Post back its report, a fresh dds.txt log and above mentioned ComboFix resultant log.

Another question: All those .vshost.exe files under "File Replicators" in ComboFix.txt, are they infected files? If so I need to warn the user I got them from. Btw, that's not where my problem originated, I think I never ran those files.

Those may be false positive. Let's see.

Please upload these files one by one to http://www.virustotal.com (reanalyse if prompted) and post back links to the results:
c:\qoobox\quarantine\c\play\Graphics class\Course_Graphics\CalculatorGUI\CalculatorGUI\bin\Debug\CalculatorGUI.vshost.exe.vir
c:\qoobox\quarantine\c\play\Graphics class\Course_Graphics\Deitel_IM-Sols\Sol_AppE\UnicodeName\UnicodeName\bin\Debug\ConsoleApplication1.vshost.exe.vir
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 ASAP & UNITE member since 2006

#5 alanic

alanic

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Thank you so much and sorry for the slow reply. I did everything you said: ran combofix with the text file, uninstalled old flash and java, and ran dds. I'm attaching the outputs. However, there was no play directory in c:\qoobox\quarantine\c\, therefore I could not find those .vshost.exe.vir files. It's not terribly important as long as I'm safe right now. Thank you so much! Am I clean now?

Attached Files

#6 Blade81

Blade81

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • MVP

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

Hi, That ComboFix log is old one. Please post the one from c:\ComboFix.txt file.

#7 alanic

alanic

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:49 AM

Oops, sorry about that. Here it is.

Attached Files

#8 Blade81

Blade81

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • MVP

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

Hi,

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

File::
C:\windows\pdwa.exe
C:\windows\wtsx.exe

Save this as
CFScript

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

Posted Image

Close all browser windows and refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe (let the tool to update itself if prompted).
Then post the resultant log + fresh dds.txt log. How's the system running?

#9 alanic

alanic

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

Ok I'm attaching the resulting logs. The system seems to be running fine, at least there is nothing that's abusing the CPU so far.

Attached Files

#10 Blade81

Blade81

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • MVP

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

Good. Let's see the final steps then :)

THESE STEPS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

Let's reset system restore
Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected. Please note you need Administrator Access to do clean the restore points.

A To disable the System Restore feature:

1. Click on the Start button.
2. Hover over the Computer option, right click on it and then click Properties.
3. On the left hand side, click Advanced Settings.
4. If asked to permit the action, click on Allow.
5. Click on the System Protection tab.
6. Select c: drive and click Configure...
7. Select Turn off protection
8. Press OK.
Repeat steps 6-8 for each hard drive.

B. Reboot.

C Turn ON System Restore.
Follow the steps like you did when disabling system restore but on step 7. select Restore system settings and previous versions of files -option.

Now lets uninstall ComboFix:
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now copy-paste Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK

UPDATING WINDOWS AND INTERNET EXPLORER

IMPORTANT: You Need to Update Windows and Internet Explorer to protect your computer from the malware that is around on the Internet. Please go to the windows update site to get the critical updates.

If you are running Microsoft Office, or any portion thereof, go to the Microsoft's Office Update site and make sure you have at least all the critical updates installed (Free) Microsoft Office Update.

Make your Internet Explorer more secure

This can be done by following these simple instructions:
From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
Click once on the Security tab
Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
Click once on the Custom Level button.
Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Download and run Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) and fix its findings. Leave the program installed so you'll stay alarmed about vulnerable components in future too.

Just a final reminder for you. I am trying to stress these two points.
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!! Make sure you do this about every 1-2 weeks.
Make sure all of your security programs are up to date.
Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Once again, please post and tell me how things are going with your system... problems etc.

Have a great day,
Blade B)

#11 Blade81

Blade81

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • MVP

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.