Hi
I have a problem updating java to v1.6.0_26… it updates everything except InstallSource registry and it trys to repair the previos version and sais a newer version is already installed
if anyone can provide some help to this issue it will be apreciated
Alex
The latest build for Java 6 is update 27 (donwload link -> Java 6 update 27). Try uninstalling Java 6 update 26 from Add/Remove programs in control panel then installing the latest version. If that won't do then try running appleoditty's fix then try the installation package again.
thx for the response
well i know that installing the update on a clean machine will solve this… the problem is being in a mass deployment system i would rather avoid having to uninstall the previous version before installing this upgrade. i was looking for a way to solve this issue from the mst on java 6.0.26 upgrade MSI.
I split the topic into our software section as this problem is not related to the one discussed in the Java Setup Problem thread.
Brokenzoe, the proper way to install a newer version of Java is to first uninstall older versions. Depending on how old of a version of Java you have installed, you may need to remove it prior to installing a newer version of Java. The newer java installers will remove some of the older versions but it has been hit and miss in my experience.
If you have a specific version of Java you want to remove prior to updating, then I suggest you download the installer for the older version that you need to uninstall. If you are in a domain environment, or a multi computer environment, you can use various scripting procedures to script the uninstall of that version of Java. Progams like psexec, vbscript, and/or login/startup/shutdown scripts can help you to accomplish this task.
To learn how to script the installation and uninstallation of Java, you should visit appdeploy.com. You might even look at this thread: http://www.appdeploy.com/messageboards/tm.asp?m=29809 You'll want to find out how to silently uninstall Java, and then script the procedure in a way you can run it automatically on many computers. These types of things often take me hours of trial and error before getting positive results.
I must warn you that the information contained in that thread is not tested by me and I don't know the results it will provide you.
With all of that said, I want to point out that I do not recommend using my tool to resolve your problem, nor the windows installer cleanup, or any other "forced" removals until you try to legitimately uninstall the product using standard uninstall procedures. The tool I wrote, and other tools out there that have been proposed in resolving Java issues sometimes forcefully remove certain Java components, but do not technically uninstall Java. It is preferred to actually uninstall it properly prior to taking more drastic procedures.
Take care.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI