Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Zero Access Rootkit--computer won't start up now

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EastPoint

EastPoint

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

I posted a thread about this here:
http://forums.spybot...ead.php?t=63819

And I was referred to these forums. Basically, I somehow picked up the Zero Access Rootkit, which wasn't a serious issue at first, but after a day or so I was unable to fully load Windows. My computer goes up to the XP loading screen, then goes to a black screen with a movable mouse pointer, but will not go further. I have tried loading the last known good configuration and starting in safe mode, and neither one will get any further.

I am using a different computer to post this. I have a legit copy of XP. I have no problem reinstalling Windows if necessary, and I do have a recovery CD, but I have files on my computer that I don't want to lose, and I didn't back them up at the time because I didn't realize how important they were at the time.

I tried slaving the hard drive to another computer, but it is a SATA drive with no jumpers, so I could not do it. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hi EastPoint,
Welcome to WTT :thumbup:

The most important thing to do now is to - Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux.
Puppy works by installing into your RAM only, notyour HD. Once you have booted to the Puppy desktop, to save your data it basicaly works like this:

1) At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
2) Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
3) Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
4) From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.

It might seem strange and nothing like Windows, but it is as simple as the above.

After that , re-install XP.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 vinaythewanted

vinaythewanted

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:56 AM

You can even download hiren's boot cd iso and burn it onto a cd. Then load mini windows xp from the cd menu and copy the files which you want to a usb disk. Hiren's is a bootable disc which has many useful tools including mini windows xp for solving almost any computer problems. The mini windows xp would boot from the disc.

#4 Vendigo

Vendigo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

Hmm quick question have you tried to run explorer.exe from the point where you get black screen with movable mouse?. It goes like this: get yourself task manager (ctrl-alt-del) check the processes look for explorer.exe if there is one kill that process - then press file - new task (run) - write explorer or explorer.exe and click ok. if it runs then you can fix your computer without reinstalling it

#5 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

WTT does NOT allow discussion of disk images using WindowsPE, such as Hiren's BootCD The license does not appear to allow redistribution. Until Microsoft resolves this issue, the WTT admin team respectfully asks that you not use these tools, or any tools that redistribute WinPE.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

You are so smooth LD :mellow:

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

"God" is always smooth B)

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#8 vinaythewanted

vinaythewanted

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

WTT does NOT allow discussion of disk images using WindowsPE, such as Hiren's BootCD

The license does not appear to allow redistribution. Until Microsoft resolves this issue, the WTT admin team respectfully asks that you not use these tools, or any tools that redistribute WinPE.

sorry, I was not knowing that. I Would not discuss about it in future.

#9 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 23,225 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Malware and cooking some great Italian and TexMex food
  • MVP

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:27 AM

EastPoint,

How are you coming along ?

The forum is staffed by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.
If you feel you have been helped, please consider a donation.
donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

#10 EastPoint

EastPoint

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

Sorry, I thought I had enabled email notification, and had not received any, so I assumed no one had posted. Just checked today and found the opposite. I ended up buying an adaptor to treat the hard drive like an external drive, then pulled all my files off onto another computer, then reinstalled Windows, which appears to have done the trick.

#11 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 23,225 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Malware and cooking some great Italian and TexMex food
  • MVP

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

:thumbup: I am looking over your DDS log at Safer and will post to you soon

The forum is staffed by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.
If you feel you have been helped, please consider a donation.
donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.