2GB RAM
Hard Drive 1 = 500 GB
C:
Free Space: 29.7 GB
Total Size: 97.6 GB
D:
Free Space: 29.3 GB
Total Size: 183 GB
E:
Free Space: 31.0 GB
Total Size: 184 GB
Hard Drive 2 and 3 were unplugged to try and rule out a HD error with either of them but ended up being inconclusive.
HD 2 is a 500GB single partition and HD 3 is a 1 TB single partition.
Come to think of it, when I open some folders on the HDs I get a Windows Data Execution Error and windows closes the open explorer windows… can this be a related issue? It doesn't happen often and I can't pinpoint the last time it has, but it's often when I am opening folders with lots of images/videos with the thumbnail option and Windows has to render the thumbnail.
can't see anything wrong there space wise that might slow the drive down. i assume you've run the usually stuff to clean out all temp files, etc and defragged it.
i'm no windows expert so can't tell you how to check for corrupt files or anything that may be slowing down your pc, but here's some of the things i think i'd do and see if there was any improvements..
first i'd go back to the windows page file section and just tick let windows manage it, instead of where you've manually put the page file and it's size..
i think i'd run a few graphics card, cpu, hard drive benchmark tests and compare the results to others, it may be a graphics card problem and not a cpu/system file one, if the machine crashes/or poor results when running the graphics benchmarks then i think i'd try a different card in there and see if things improve it may also be a sign of a failing psu and it's struggling to provide enough power when the cpu/graphics card calls for it tho, so that would also be something i'd change and see if the machine runs better.
i think i'd also install a cpu temperature reading program to see what it is, high cpu temps can also cause all sorts of problems. coretemp is what i usually recommend :- http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
if things look good with all the tests tho then i'm out of ideas on how to check where the problem may be..
I'm having a peculiar issue. I've been getting errors over the last few days from Windows Cleanup telling me there is little space on C:. I checked the properties on C: when I got up and noticed the message and it said I had 0 bytes free. I decided to start removing unneeded programs (about 4-5 gig worth) and rechecked, it still claimed I had 0 bytes free so I reboot. After rebooting, it showed that I had 43 gig free.
I ran the computer for another day or two and got the same message… low disk space. I checked again and it showed 150mb free. I waited about 20 seconds and checked again to see it at 96mb. Started closing programs and checked again before rebooting and it was at 15k free. After reboot, back up to 40+ gig free.
Currently, it is at 13gig when it's supposed to be 40ish gig. The only thing I remember changing was 'Let Windows manage my virtual memory size'. According to the virtual memory settings, it's 'usage' right now is 6gig, not 27gig.
I am not sure what's causing the rapid space decrease, but this seems to possibly be why I've been having CPU slowdowns or could be another issue altogether.
at a guess i'd think something is filling up your temp folder, so everytime you reboot it gets emptied, now what it might be i haven't got a clue.
i'd think the lack of hard drive space when it gets full could well be the cause of your slowdown problems too.
anyway that's where i'd start, look in the windows temp folder, see what's in there and then find out what put it there.
A quick way to see what is eating drive space is to install a program called Treesize Free. When you get the message about low disk space, run it and see what is using up the space.
For instance, this is what my C: drive looks like:
You might find this interesting… the numbers don't match up at all. The top shows that 54.4gb is taken up by files on the HD yet at the bottom it states 64.4mb is free rather than 43.2gb (97.6gb-54.4gb). I am not sure what this means. This is the same result I get when running TreeSize directly after reboot, but the Free Space is reported correctly.
That is strange. I noticed mine didn't match up either. No idea why.
Will be interesting to see what you get when you run out of space and where it goes.
I just rebooted about an hour ago. Already, I see the decline in HD space. Immediately after reboot it reported 43.7GB (I check every reboot now)
According to this, it's dropped 3GB in an hour. I can barely stay running for a day before the 40gig is completely filled and I need to reboot to 'cleanse' it.
[external image: Posted Image]
The 40.6GB is what Windows is reporting as well as to what is 'free'. Still, 97.6-53.1 = 44.5 (roughly the 43.7 it showed when I reboot) not 40.6 GB.
can you both actually look in the temp folder, see what's there(hidden files too if any) and how much space it's using? i have a feeling that program isn't reporting the temp folder contents accurately for some reason and why you both get a disparity with the amount of free space available and what should be free.
Regardless of your answer. Temporary files should persist through a reboot. I would suspect Virtual Memory instead, but all sources I check for Virtual Memory claim Windows is only using 2 GB for the virtual swap file.
Either that, or the HD itself is suspect as it is reporting incorrect free space. Not only is it reporting the incorrect free space, but it won't allow any programs to write to the disk at that time… so it's either really full, or the system just assumes it is.
Temp files are insignificant. Something else is going on here.
Try WinDirStart, see if you get similar or different results.
I'm suspecting it' something to do with the System Volume Informatin folder which contains Volume Shadow Copy data and System Restore data.
You do show all files in Folder Options, right?
Check Show hidden files, folders and drives
Uncheck Hide empty drive in Computer folder
Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types
Uncheck Hide prot4ected operating system files (Recommended)
Ztruker, according to WinDirStat the problem is a 37.8 GB file called c:\windows\system32\LogFiles\WMI\trace.log
This did not get picked up by the other program for whatever reason.
I have to reboot now because I only have a little bit left for HD space. I will see if the file is there when I reboot and what size it is then.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI