Software
Kernal Data Inpage Error
31 min read
Rappy99
Topic Starter
I have gotten ~10 blue screens over the last few days all of a sudden. No major issues beforehand. Sometimes Windows will boot up and after 2-3 minutes give an error saying "Unknown hard error" and shut everything down. No blue screen. No way to reboot other than hitting reset as the window displaying that error just keeps popping up.
I have run CHKDSK /f on all drives currently connected and ran Memtest86 on my memory. Both came up with no errors. There has been no new hardware/software installed within the last few months other than windows security updates.
Please help. I cannot keep this computer running.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Lee
Acording to Microsoft here, one of the main causes listed is "Master boot record is infected with a virus".
I think we need to rule that in or out first before proceeding with other possible causes.
Go here to this forum in WTT and post a thread. Please read "Are you Infected? Need Help?" on that page before submitting a thread.
Cheers,
Lee
PS Edit.
In the Melware forum, provide this link to the thread here http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=120274
I think we need to rule that in or out first before proceeding with other possible causes.
Go here to this forum in WTT and post a thread. Please read "Are you Infected? Need Help?" on that page before submitting a thread.
Cheers,
Lee
PS Edit.
In the Melware forum, provide this link to the thread here http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=120274
Digerati
@Lee - did you mean that KB? I note it applies to stop error 77 and the OP is getting 7a errors.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275149
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275149
Rappy99
I got a stop error 77 last night. Only have gotten 1 though. Most of them are 7a. I will post a virus thread to be safe. MWB returns empty and so does Avast!
Lee
Hi Digerati,
Yes you quite right. Your link reference applies to -
I'm not sure how the problem here relates to Occurs During Setup on an ATA66-based Computer as I can find no other reference (?) As there has now been a 077 error though, maybe it is best to make sure the PC is clean first. Not that I want to unnecessarily load up the Melware forum
Cheers,
Lee
Yes you quite right. Your link reference applies to -
which is where I first went before sidetracking to 077 error.Error Message "Stop 0x0000007A" Occurs During Setup on an ATA66-based Computer
I'm not sure how the problem here relates to Occurs During Setup on an ATA66-based Computer as I can find no other reference (?) As there has now been a 077 error though, maybe it is best to make sure the PC is clean first. Not that I want to unnecessarily load up the Melware forum
Cheers,
Lee
Digerati
It would not hurt.maybe it is best to make sure the PC is clean first.
Rappy99
Per this thread, I am clean of viruses/malware and am back here for further instructions. I have had several types of blue screens over the past week. Mostly 7A and 77, but also D1s and F4's. It was once a day, then it turned into 5-10 a day while diagnosing… now it seems I can be on my computer for hours at a time with no issues, but once I leave it I blue screen. I removed a few things with the help of Essexboy, but nothing that was really major and/or should cause the issues I am having. Lately (within the last day or two) the computer seems to crawl. A few examples: Hovering over internet links can take 5-10 seconds at times to change the cursor to a pointer finger and 'recognize' that it's a link… Typing here will sometimes pause for 5-10 seconds and instantly catch up with the letters I have typed.
I am not sure what I should do now. I have run Memtest 86 and my memory passed the test. I have also run CHKDSK /F several times with no issues either.
I now await your response.
I am not sure what I should do now. I have run Memtest 86 and my memory passed the test. I have also run CHKDSK /F several times with no issues either.
I now await your response.
Lee
Download Whocrashed
When installing you may recieve a note that additional Microsoft debugging file tool files need to be downloaded. When downloading that option wait for it to complete which will take several minutes.
when Whocrashed is installed, open it and click on the green analyze button.
Display results here.
Cheers,
Lee
When installing you may recieve a note that additional Microsoft debugging file tool files need to be downloaded. When downloading that option wait for it to complete which will take several minutes.
when Whocrashed is installed, open it and click on the green analyze button.
Display results here.
Cheers,
Lee
Rappy99
System Information (local)
——————————————————————————–
computer name: RAPPY
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2128084992 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2044469248
——————————————————————————–
Crash Dump Analysis
——————————————————————————–
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
On Fri 9/2/2011 10:58:16 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090211-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x22F43)
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF8ABB5BF8, 0xFFFFFFFF8ABB5D6C, 0xFFFFFFFF805D29B4)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.
On Wed 8/31/2011 20:26:31 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini083111-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atapi.sys (atapi+0xD50C)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFFFFFC05BF8C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0xFFFFFFFFB7F1850C, 0x2108D860)
Error: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: IDE/ATAPI Port Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
On Wed 8/31/2011 19:51:30 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini083111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atapi.sys (atapi+0x5D23)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0xFFFFFFFF8EC9DB68, 0xA, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFB7F10D23)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: IDE/ATAPI Port Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
On Sun 8/7/2011 16:38:29 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini080711-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atkdisp.dll (atkdisp+0x1632)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD013632, 0xFFFFFFFFB1986C04, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\atkdisp.dll
product: ASUS Windows 2000/XP Display Driver
company: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
description: ASUS Windows 2000/XP Display Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atkdisp.dll (ASUS Windows 2000/XP Display Driver, ASUSTeK Computer Inc.).
Google query: atkdisp.dll ASUSTeK Computer Inc. KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
——————————————————————————–
Conclusion
——————————————————————————–
4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:
atkdisp.dll (ASUS Windows 2000/XP Display Driver, ASUSTeK Computer Inc.)
If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.
Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.
Lee
One driver problem has been identified. Other unidentified problems may be linked.
Please check if there is a later model Display Driver available for your PC.
Download driver to desktop and then uninstall your current display driver. Go to Start / right-click My computer / manage /left-click Device Manager / expand "Display Adapters" / right-click on the display driver installed / click on "uninstall". After uninstall, reboot and then install the new driver.
If your not exactly sure what driver to download, please supply your PC brand and model number (should be on the back or side of the PC) and I will the supply you with the link to the correct driver to download.
Cheers,
Lee
Rappy99
Actually, I did this earlier today after FileHippo was installed with the suggestion of Essexboy.
Digerati
With you being at XP, you should have IE8 installed, even if using an alternative browser as your default.A few examples: Hovering over internet links can take 5-10 seconds at times to change the cursor to a pointer finger and 'recognize' that it's a link… Typing here will sometimes pause for 5-10 seconds and instantly catch up with the letters I have typed.
With that, note that many problems with IE8 and IE9 are due to conflicting add-ons. So you might try clicking Start and entering Internet Explorer in the Search box. When you see Internet Explorer (without Add-ons), double-click that and see how it works. Or to take IE back to its defaults and disable all add-ons you can reset IE through Tools > Internet Options >Advanced, then clicking Reset.
Rappy99
Sorry, but I don't use IE. I am currently using FF 3.6.21 (which is a new(er) release for FF 3) but have seen no issues with this prior to the last few days. The hover-over sluggishness just started yesterday morning; same with the slowed typing. It isn't constant, but it seems like the CPU is busy or bogged down when Task Manager assures me it isn't.
PS. I have since upgraded to FF 9 because it has proven to be MUCH faster than the FF 3 I was using.
Rappy99
An update on current issues. It seems that after installing new nVidia drivers for my video card, the blue-screens have stopped. What is concerning me now is the same issue that has been for the last few weeks. My computer slows to a crawl every few seconds. I've been monitoring the Windows Task Manager lately while working on the computer and I see it fluctuate quite a bit while doing routine tasks. On the processes tab, it shows relatively low CPU usage by everything listed… usually with Firefox leading the pack with less than 10% CPU. However, on the Performance tab, CPU spikes up to 100% and back down quite often. It's within these spikes that the computer slows. Remember that 'Typing here will sometimes pause for 5-10 seconds and instantly catch up with the letters I have typed.' issue above? That's when these sort of things happen. I will include a screenshot to show what I mean. Currently, I am doing nothing intensive nor is there anything repetitive going on in the background, yet every other second, the CPU spikes up to 75-100% then back to 2% then back up. It's quite annoying when I am trying to get things done. Like I said, the Process tab doesn't show anything out-of-the-ordinary as far as processes utilizing a chunk of CPU, but the Performance tab tells a different story. I really would like to know what my CPU is doing if it's not seemingly working on my current tasks.
[external image: Posted Image]
Then, as soon as I finish the edit here, all is back to normal.
[external image: Posted Image]
This typically happens anytime I try to do anything on the computer that requires any CPU usage. Opening new programs can take up to a full minute when just a week ago it was mere seconds. Earlier today, I tried to unzip a file with 20 small images in it and it took 3 minutes when it should only take about 20 seconds.
[external image: Posted Image]
Then, as soon as I finish the edit here, all is back to normal.
[external image: Posted Image]
This typically happens anytime I try to do anything on the computer that requires any CPU usage. Opening new programs can take up to a full minute when just a week ago it was mere seconds. Earlier today, I tried to unzip a file with 20 small images in it and it took 3 minutes when it should only take about 20 seconds.
Digerati
What happens in Safe Mode?
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI