Checking now. I now have only 16 processes running and it is still exhibiting the same spikes in CPU every other second or so. Opening small footprint programs also have the same effect. The CPU skyrockets to 100% while opening when it is a very small, non-CPU intensive program. I will post a screenshot of this screen to show you.
This is odd. I would disable anything not needed - including media players, and disconnect any attached device not needed - like external drives, mapped drives, card readers, etc.
Can you positively identify those 16 processes?
I suspected at one time it may have been an issue with another hard drive. I've disabled the other two hard drives in the machine. The only other hardware in the machine is the video card and a DVD drive which is rarely used.
As far as processes, there's nothing that I can tell that is running that is malicious. I also have a hard time thinking it is one of the few out of the 16 or so that run in safe mode. I can try going back into safe mode and get a list of processes if that's desired. I really can't do much more in safe mode as the screen size is extremely small and can't be easily changed within safe mode.
Could it be a failing CPU? Is there anyway to test its integrity? When I am not doing anything and the computer is 'idle', the CPU doesn't jump around. It's only when I am editing/browsing/running programs.
f those power spikes are happening in safe mode. the only way to know for sure if a CPU is causing a problem is to replace it with one known to be working properly..
It could be a motherboard problem, a CPU problem, a PSU (power supply) or even a Video card (if you have one) power spiking in frequent cycles.
Cheers,
Lee
those are not power spikes lee, but cpu usage spikes, the cpu does everything at full speed when it does something that's why they jump up to 100%.
if there is a hardware problem you certainly wouldn't be able to tell just from looking at the cpu usage graph in my opinion.
all that show's is that there's a program/process running that uses the cpu every few seconds.
those are not power spikes lee, but cpu usage spikes,
Right. I don't think the CPU is failing or that this is a power issue. Something is telling the CPU to max out.
It is most likely something that is running - a program or a driver. You might go into MSCONFIG and see what services are running at startup. If non-Microsoft, it likely can be disabled for testing.
Odd, I didn't get an e-mail for the update on this thread. I have checked out MSCONFIG before and didn't see anything out-of-the-ordinary. What should I do to find out what the issue is? There was only 16 loaded with SafeMode, so I take it one of them is suspicious then?
Also, in response to Terry… it's odd. When the computer is IDLE, the CPU doesn't spike. It's only when I am actively doing something with a program… IE, navigating web pages, editing in notepad, opening a program, typing in this edit box. Once I save, the CPU drops to 2-5% and STAYS THERE until I do something else.
As far as the Startup tab in MSCONFIG, there is currently only 7 programs run at startup. I've disabled about 40 or so within the passed year from MSCONFIG (I have no clue how to get rid of them from that list and go back to a NORMAL startup instead of SELECTIVE) The current 7 are
AvastUI
PowerISO
MSN Messenger Plus
Malware Bytes
dumprep (no clue if this is needed or not)
MSN Messenger
Skype
I don't have a clue if/what I should alter in other tabs. Services has around 100 (I didn't bother counting) services listed but not all of them are running. Quite a few are Stopped.
From what I can tell, system.ini, win.ini and boot.ini have nothing out-of-the-ordinary there either.
Please advise what you recommend I do next. I'd really love to get beyond this "running great for 2 seconds, running like c-r-a-p for 5 seconds" continuous loop.
Hard to "know" from MSCONFIG startups list, but I would guess that MSN messenger Plus, MSN messenger, and SKYPE are strong candidates for what is consuming CPU.
Lately, I have had MSN shut down completely as I rarely use it. I use Skype extensively and have for the passed year, but this issue JUST started last week. I am running far less programs at startup and far less than normal and am still having the issues. I will take a look at the process explorer. Shall I post any results here? I am not sure how it outputs the information.
The interrupts part of the Process Explorer seems a tad high… jumping up to 50% CPU often, but I don't know how to get more information on what that entails.
Firefox seems nominal when editing… 5-30% CPU while typing here. Skype very rarely jumps up above 5% and this is with me currently on a VOIP call. Is there any way to find out what interrupts are causing the huge load on CPU?
It is confirmed it is definately the interrupts that is causing the issue.
[external image: Posted Image]
All three graphs show the same huge jump every other second… the part where it stopped for about 5 seconds was when I was positioning the windows for a screenshot. Once I clicked back here to type more, it jumped up again to 95% CPU.
Update: I thought that maybe virtual memory could be an issue since most of the errors usually incur when virtual memory would get accessed or written to… so I increased the size of my swap file on C: and added a swap file on the other drives. This seemed to alleviate the huge chuck of interrupt strain on the CPU at first, but today it doesn't seem to affect it at all.
I also had two blue-screens. 1 last night and one earlier today.
They claimed they were an 8E from watchdog.sys and a D1 from tcpip.sys but the minidump analysis shows two other files instead (same errors though)
On Sat 9/10/2011 15:31:44 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini091011-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswtdi.sys (aswTdi+0xECE)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0xC, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFAE7D8FA9)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswtdi.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! TDI Filter Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswtdi.sys (avast! TDI Filter Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswtdi.sys AVAST Software CUSTOM_ERROR
On Fri 9/9/2011 19:46:05 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090911-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x242E0E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB84A0925, 0xFFFFFFFFAFCF52E4, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
There's a lot of programs in my running processes I don't recognize, but according to Process Explorer, none of them are the cause of the issues so I think they are benign. For the sake of thoroughness, those programs are:
awServ.exe
csrss.exe
daemonu.exe
lsass.exe
LSSrvc.exe
LVComSer.exe
LVPrcSrv.exe
NASvc.exe
smss.exe
wmiprvse.exe
When Interrupts is spiking, it is probably related to a process or program that is also becoming active at that same time.
Look further down the list to identify what process is showing the greatest CPU usage.
For the machine I am presently using, two are using more CPU than any others – Firefox.exe and plugin-container.exe (for Firefox)
What is it for yours?
When I am typing here, only Firefox really has anything significant. Running from 1%-40% on average every so often. It does seem that FF spikes when the interrupts do. Roughly every few seconds it seems. But, oddly enough, this doesn't JUST happen when I am editing a forum thread. It happens when watching a video with Windows Media Player… when typing in notepad… when unzipping a file. In other words, it's not something specific to JUST Firefox. Some programs don't seem to be affected though. mIRC runs perfectly fine all day with no issues. I will once again post a link here showing you the current changes to Firefox and Interrupts while editing here. mIRC is open to show you that it isn't affected nor does it consume any resources while running. Skype also seems unaffected as I can be on a VOIP call for hours with no slow downs if I am doing nothing else other than the call.
If I could jump in a second
Could you open the Avast GUI and disable the behaviour shield, does that eliminate the problem ?
[attachment removed: Capture.GIF]
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI