Hi there,
After an External Maxtor 1TB disk became corrupted I recovered the files to a brand new WD2TB external HD. I am going to reformat the Maxtor.
I was just wondering what the best arrangement of Hard Disks would be?
The computer has a 320GB that came with the computer and is the main disk. I added a second 120GB disk from an old computer and us it for storing/archiving files. Now with the two extral disks that between them have 3TB of capacity what should I do? Should I place one of the external internally?
Any suggestion (clean ones or at least physically possible)?
Thanks
Beejay1701
doesn't sound like you actually need all that storage for daily use so i really wouldn't think it'll make any difference if you use them internally or externally but probably save you a little time and the hassle of keep plugging/unplugging a drive if you connect it internally.
is the drive made so it can be taken out of it's case and attached internally?
i'm assuming your connecting the drives by e-sata and not usb connection, if using usb then you'll also get faster data transfer speeds by connecting internally to one of your motherboards sata ports(no speed gain/loss from internal sata port over external e-sata port)
i'd be more worried tho about how the data got corrupted on the 1Tb drive in the first place, was it the first sign of imminent and permanent failure? i wouldn't be relying on it for any of my important data especially backups anyway.
The dirve that I had a problem with is already out of its case. I placed it in another case just incase that was the problem, it wasn't.
All my external Hard disks are attached by USB. The computer is old and doesn't have e-sata capability though it does have Firewire.
How the data became corrupted I have no idea. The Device manager in windows reported it as working correctly. Just every time I tried to access the disk it said it was ` corrupt or inaccessible'. Only after a Chkdsk /f could I access it, and find the majority of the data gone. I recovered some data but not all.
I may or may not have a virus issue and have post in the virus forum.
if you think you have a virus problem then i would let them sort it first don't forget to mention your backup drives so they can include them in the check too, no harm in connecting the 1tb drive internally first if your helper says it's ok, just remember it might not be 100% secure for any data you put on it, virus or not.
if you have any usb memory sticks also ask your helper if they could be infected if they do find a malware problem too, no point in cleaning a machine that is going to get re-infected just as soon as you plug in a memory stick or external hard drive.
Thanks for the info. Running through the virus problem now. It looks like its a rootkit.
I wish there was some way of knowing if this drive is usable or whether it will fail again. I was thinking of installing it internally but can I trust it?
Hi Beejay1701
It would be wise to let Catbyte ( Expert malware fighter) finish dealing with the infections, over in the malware and virus removal forum, before making making ANY changes, not specifically recommended in your topic there.
Once your machine has been declared "clean" then post back here and one of us will do our best to assist if you are still having other issues with it
Regards
paws
A wise suggestion Paws. One thing at a time.
I will close this thread and return if needs be.
Thanks to everyone
PS I assume that I dont actually have to do anything to close a thread.
Beejay1701