This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Infected with Windows XP AntiVirus 2011

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, My name is Beautiful Keeper Had XP Antivirus 2011, I downloaded Malwarebytes which stopped the annoying fake antivirus alerts. I also downloaded a trial version of Norton Virus Scan. Since running Malwarebytes scan and Norton Virus scan, my executables don't work so well, and my Desktop shortcuts aren't opening my programs as well. When I try to run my programs, I get a dialog box stating that I have to pick which program in order to run the program. I can still open my photo files, but I can't open my programs. I am currently running the Recover My Files program, but I really do not know what to do or if this will work. Any and all help is appreciated. I am also a novice at this and not a techie type at all. Just a regular user… so someone who is patient is very much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. BeautifulKeeper
Hello BeautifulKeeper and :welcome:

My name is JonTom

  • Malware Logs can sometimes take a lot of time to research and interpret.
  • Please be patient while I try to assist with your problem. If at any time you do not understand what is required, please ask for further explanation.
  • Please note that there is no "Quick Fix" to modern malware infections and we may need to use several different approaches to get your system clean.
  • Read every reply you receive carefully and thoroughly before carrying out the instructions. You may also find it helpful to print out the instructions you receive, as in some instances you may have to disconnect your computer from the Internet.
  • PLEASE NOTE: If you do not reply after 5 days your thread will be closed.

I am also a novice at this and not a techie type at all

No problem at all. If you are unsure about anything or if there is something you don't understand just ask - its what I'm here for :)

Lets see if we can get the following tool to run:

  • Please perform the following scan


  • Please download DDS from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection you may have installed (How to Disable your Security Programs)
  • Double click on the DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run).
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
  • Please post the contents of the DDS.txt and Attach.txt logs in your next reply.

If you are having problems getting the tool to open because of the malware just let me know.
Hello Jon Ton I am now being helped in another thread, but thank you for responding. Should I need your further assistance, I will contact you. Thank you so much for responding. – BKeeper

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI