This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

MS updates

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Win 7 x64 KB2515325 KB2522422 KB2492386 KB782018 All dated 4-17-11 These have failed and I ran the troubleshooter which said "fixed". When I close the page and downloaded more updates these still read" failed" Do they ever change to 'success' if they are fixed? What do you ordinarily do with updates that say fail when you check them in the history center? After updates they say "successful but in the "history" some say failed. It seems to be a contradiction. Please inform if you would. Thank you
Hey Peter1, I've just noticed this issue across a few of my own computers. There seems to be a bit of a problem when the computer restarts and tries to complete the updates. A second reboot seems to fix the problem and the same failed updates will be installed properly. (Verified on one machine at the moment). Just reorder the list chronologically and you should see the same updates twice. [Edit: Okay, verified it across all my computers. If the updates fail on the first round, Windows Update will automatically re-download and install them again. The entry will not go from "Failed" to "Success", it will just create another entry] I hope that helps,

Hey Peter1,

I've just noticed this issue across a few of my own computers.

There seems to be a bit of a problem when the computer restarts and tries to complete the updates. A second reboot seems to fix the problem and the same failed updates will be installed properly. (Verified on one machine at the moment).

Just reorder the list chronologically and you should see the same updates twice.

[Edit: Okay, verified it across all my computers. If the updates fail on the first round, Windows Update will automatically re-download and install them again. The entry will not go from "Failed" to "Success", it will just create another entry]

I hope that helps,



< I'll try and thank you very much.
Peter
Nahumi The failed are there but, as you said, so are the successful ones also. Good going. Btw, I do not wish to cross post but wondered if you would like to look at an issue I had posted here regarding MSXML? I think it would interest you especially if you use Secunia, which I have done for years. It is an interesting puzzle. I did not have all the information at the time and was causing some frustration, however, I have information enough now to makes sense of it. If so let me know and, if interested, how we can do this? Pete

After updates they say "successful but in the "history" some say failed. It seems to be a contradiction.

"History" is a chronological log. If something fails, it is timestamped and recorded. If it tries again and fails, the new attempt is timestamped and recorded again. If it later succeeds, it does not go back and change the history, this 3rd attempt is timestamped and recorded.

Note they can fail for many reasons. Often, as noted, they just need another reboot. Sometimes they another update installed first. Or maybe the downloaded file was corrupted or incomplete. You might run Windows Update manually to see if you still need anything.
Hello Peter, I've had a quick look at the MSXML topic that you made, and it all seems a bit convoluted. What I've been able to figure out is that you use Secunia to check whether all your applications / programs are up to date. This check has then popped up saying that MSXML is out of date and you've been redirected to a Microsoft Knowledgebase Article to try and solve the problem. The next thing I've been able to pick up is that MSXML comes in various flavours. The most recent release is MSXML 6.0, but if needed you can also have MSXML 4.0 and MSXML 3.0 installed at the same time. The only reason you would have the latter two installed is if you needed legacy support. In laymans terms, "legacy support" means to use an older or out of date technology. So…as far as you know, do you need to have MSXML 4.0 installed? Are you supporting any legacy / outdated software?

After updates they say "successful but in the "history" some say failed. It seems to be a contradiction.

"History" is a chronological log. If something fails, it is timestamped and recorded. If it tries again and fails, the new attempt is timestamped and recorded again. If it later succeeds, it does not go back and change the history, this 3rd attempt is timestamped and recorded.

Note they can fail for many reasons. Often, as noted, they just need another reboot. Sometimes they another update installed first. Or maybe the downloaded file was corrupted or incomplete. You might run Windows Update manually to see if you still need anything.



I appreciate the information about the history and time stamp. That clarifies why the failed did not change to success.
Peter

Hello Peter,

I've had a quick look at the MSXML topic that you made, and it all seems a bit convoluted.

What I've been able to figure out is that you use Secunia to check whether all your applications / programs are up to date. This check has then popped up saying that MSXML is out of date and you've been redirected to a Microsoft Knowledgebase Article to try and solve the problem.

The next thing I've been able to pick up is that MSXML comes in various flavours. The most recent release is MSXML 6.0, but if needed you can also have MSXML 4.0 and MSXML 3.0 installed at the same time. The only reason you would have the latter two installed is if you needed legacy support. In laymans terms, "legacy support" means to use an older or out of date technology.

So…as far as you know, do you need to have MSXML 4.0 installed? Are you supporting any legacy / outdated software?



>>I am confused myself as to what happened after I was directed to a link in secunia to fix the fact that msxml was repeatedly flagged. I followed their advice and seem to have the installation ok and secunia scan is ok.
I do have thentire thread if you wish to read it but I do not know if the forum wants a foot long thread posted. I also have just the link.
Sorry to have cause so much confusion.
Peter
It's okay, I've ready the whole thread.

I think unless you specifically need MSXML 4.0 for some reason, it's probably no reason for concern. Like Terry said in the other topic, it can be a type of "false positive". I've never used Secunia before today, but my guess is that saying it's a massive security threat is somewhat overstated.

As long as you're behind a firewall and you have a good AV application , which in your case you do, having a slightly older version of MSXML is nothing to worry about.

My advice is that if you specifically need to support legacy applications you should try downloading the latest MSXML 4.0 version from here :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta…;displaylang=en

But chances are, you can probably just ignore what Secunia is saying in this particular case. I doubt there will be an easy fix to remove the "flag", and in any case I don't have the expertise to figure it out.

Sorry I can't be of more help. ^_^
Nahumi - On the contrary, you seem to have the expertise and have been informative. Terri, the issue has been worked out and all is well but it is good to know how to ignore the flagging in the future. I have yet to return from out of state and attend to the desktop. however, there will be no more discussion of this issue from me.. I really wish I never started this for the problems it caused but I posted because I had no idea what happened therefore I needed help to understand what did occur and how to remedy it. This led to too much distress. I hope everyone is ok with both me and the issue I wrote about. Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI