This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Slow Startup

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 notebook computer running Windows XP Pro (version 2002, service pack 3). I purchased the computer almost exactly 2 years ago and it is still under warranty.

I've been having problems starting up the computer lately. Windows will begin to load normally, but after loading the desktop wallpaper it locks up for about 15 minutes before the taskbar or any icons appear. Also, the taskbar will lock up intermittently throughout the day. When that happens, I'm unable to switch between programs using the tasbar, but I can still switch between programs by clicking on the windows in the workspace or pressing alt+tab. After a few minutes the taskbar will catch-up and seem to work normally for awhile.

I've already posted to the malware forum on this website and went through the scanning/removal process, but it didn't turn up anything. The person from the malware team also had me run SFC /scannow to check the system files, but that didn't seem to help.

I would call dell, but I'm afraid there just going to tell me to reinstall windows which I'm hoping to avoid.

Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

- Ryan
Hiya Heyheyitsryan,

Sorry to hear your having problems, I will try to help you with your current problems to the best of my ability.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=118190

1st, Thing I need to ask, have you tried starting up in safe mode to see how the machine runs or performs? If not try and see what it does.
if it still locks up on start up then lets move on to option 2.

2. Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Boot to Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking.
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Start up tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot normally and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Then report back here with the results.

Jimbo1

Reason for edit, found the Malware link.
I've started to. I tried restarting in safe mode and everything came up very quickly. I still need to follow the instructions involving msconfig.

topics here don't get closed, you followed lee's advice yet and with what results?

Do you have another topic open of this same problem? if Lee is working with you then you need to stick to that topic to insure 2 tech's are not not working the same problems.

Jimbo1
I only created this one topic. The only other thread I had going was in the malware section (which you linked to above). Not sure where the other tech came from, but I appreciate all the attention!

I've started to. I tried restarting in safe mode and everything came up very quickly. I still need to follow the instructions involving msconfig.


Ok did everything run ok, was their any lag, lock ups, programs not working right or as you said I assume the system booted up real fast with no problems, if so thats good. But did you run any programs in safe mode to see how the machine performs.

If all went ok and you saw no problems then move on to step 2 as instructed in post #2, this will ID the program or the problem with the lock up when booting to normal mode.

Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI