Baruga
Topic Starter
Hey Gang!
Did ya'll miss me?
Bust out the whiskey and popcorn.
Here goes.
So about a month ago, I came here to get mah machine all cleaned up, reinstall security and fix mah sound. It was tough, but we did it.
For the most part things have been running well…once they get going.
Here is what is happening in Luddite-Ease
When I start up, it seems to take some time for things to get going. And I keep getting a popup that proclaims "Windows has blocked some startup programs". That has been happening since I was here for my fix.
Also, when I shut down…it seems that my browser "crashes" rather then closes. I am using google chrome. I close each window, and sometimes it takes up to 20 seconds for a window to close..and then when I startup in the morning, the machine informs me that "google chrome crashed".
About 5 days ago, when I went to shut down, I was notified that there was an installation waiting..so I clicked the appropriate button. But each night since then, I get the same notification. So today I went wandering around deep inside the bowels of the machine, and got as far as finding out the there is an "error" installing this thing. It seems to be a windows security update. I tried to use the windows help centre…but it is as helpful as the Facebook help centre. I just don't speak the language, and remain afeared that I may blow up the machine, or jettison myself into outer space by clicking on the wrong button.
I guess the problems are "slow startup, browser crashing on shut down, and error in installing a windows update".
I have performed several short scans over the last month, and they claim all is clear, and I did one big 2 hour scan a few days ago, and it also gave a clean bill of health for the machine.
Now, ya'll should be reminded, that I really am a Luddite, and whoever takes this on, is going to have to speak to me real slow and use little words. When you ask me to do something, you must be able to describe to me how to do it too…you know, click on this button, and this will happen.
TreasureTech Tom (TomK) saved the day last time, although I may have contributed to stomach troubles for the poor guy. But anyone who takes this on, may want to get a little encouragement from him first beforehand.
Geez…I thought my stuff from last time would be saved….and I can't find it…so I totally forget where to go inside this machine to give you all the details of what I have here….
It's an Acer desktop from 2007
I'm running Windows Vista
Google Chrome is my browser of choice
For security I have "Microsoft Essentials".
As soon as someone tells me what buttons to push, to find out the serial numbers and stuff…I can give more details.
Good luck….and seriously - take that shot of whiskey.