Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93094 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Vista crashing when i put in SDHC card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lamaroo

lamaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

Hi, last night I put my Lexar 4GB SDHC card in my laptop to look at the pictures on it taken with the camera that night, it worked fine and I even remember pressing the Remove Device Safely thing before taking the card out. This morning I put the card back into my laptop through the built-in card reader again and I got the bluescreen. I restarted it and tried again and the same thing happened. No other applications were running at the time and this is the first time I've ever gotten the bluescreen with this laptop. I use the SDHC card in the Wii and it has no problems working on there. The laptop runs fine after it's been restarted otherwise. Again I'm using Vista, and it's an Acer laptop.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hello lamaroo, Sorry to hear you're having problems. Have you tried starting the laptop with the SD card plugged in? Have you tried the SD card on a different computer? Cheers, Nahumi
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 lamaroo

lamaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

Starting the laptop with the SD card already plugged in yielded the same results, it was able to start in safe mode, but then it wouldn't recognize the card when I plugged in it at any time. I don't have access to another computer that can read SDHC cards, but the pictures/videos were transferred from the camera onto another PC via usb cable just fine.

#4 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:24 AM

Okay, sounds like a corrupt driver to me. To begin with we'll see if Device Manager has any errors : 1. Go to your Start Menu, type "Device Manager" in the search box and hit enter. 2.Once in the Device Manager search for any devices with an exclamation mark. 3. For each device with an error, right-click, go to properties and note down the error code. 4. Copy and paste each error code in your next reply. Next, do the same as above, but instead look for any "Unknown Devices". These may not necessarily have any exclamation marks next to them. Concentrate especially on the USB Device list. Again, let me know if there are any Unknown devices in your next post.
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#5 lamaroo

lamaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

I went into the Device Manager but there were no devices listed with errors, I also couldn't see any titled Unknown Devices. Even when I clicked 'show hidden devices'.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

Show hidden devices doesn't really show all of them, try the following:

Open a Command Prompt
Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter
Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter

In the Device Manager window, click on View then Show hidden devices. Now you will see all hidden devices. Expand the USB section and right click and Uninstall any that are faded (which means not connected).

Shutdown and reboot and see if connecting the Lexar drive still causes a BSOD or not. If it does, record the info and post here.

Also give WhoCrashed a try, see if it gives you any clue to what is causing the BSOD:
Select Download / Free Downloads.
Scroll down to WhoCrashed and click on Download free home edition.
Install and run it, see what it tells you.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 lamaroo

lamaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

I don't see any that are faded in any way, if by faded you mean colour. It looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/j8amQ.jpg

Also, how do I go about recording the info from the BSOD?

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

I don't see anything faded out there either which is surprising since your Lexar drive is not connected. Expand all the other areas and see what shows in them. Don't mess with anything under System Devices of NEtwork Adapters, but look at the other choices. What is Personal Identification Devices? I've never sen that before. Is it some kind of thumbprint reader? What's under VSO devices, never saw that one either. As for BSOD info, write it down or take a picture with a digital camera. Also, don't forget to try WhoCrashed, see what it says about the BSODs you're getting.

Rich

#9 lamaroo

lamaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

Yes there is a thumbprint reader on the laptop, although that has stopped working correctly too but I'm not worried about it. Here's a screenshot of the vso devices: http://i.imgur.com/Cd66i.jpg

I ran WhoCrashed, and it shows that the card reader was the reason for the crash and suggests I update the drivers but I haven't taken any action yet, here's the log:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to WhoCrashed HOME EDITION v 3.01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This program checks for drivers which have been crashing your computer. If your computer has displayed a blue screen of death, suddenly rebooted or shut down then this program will help you find the root cause and possibly a solution.

Whenever a computer suddenly reboots without displaying any notice or blue screen of death, the first thing that is often thought about is a hardware failure. In reality, on Windows most crashes are caused by malfunctioning device drivers and kernel modules. In case of a kernel error, many computers do not show a blue screen unless they are configured for this. Instead these systems suddenly reboot without any notice.

This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. If will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.

To obtain technical support visit www.resplendence.com/support

To check if an update of this program is available, click here.

Just click the Analyze button for a comprehensible report ...

Home Edition Notice

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should ge the professional edition of WhoCrashed which also allows analysis of crashdumps on remote drives and computers on the network and offers a range of additional features.

Click here for more information on the professional edition.
Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

System Information (local)

computer name:
windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 2, 6.0, build: 6002
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 3210407936 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2004975616

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 18/04/2011 12:16:04 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini041711-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: jmcr.sys (jmcr+0xBFF)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x16, 0x1B, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF820C07D6)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\jmcr.sys
product: JMB38X Memory Card Reader Driver
company: JMicron Technology Corp.
description: JMicron JMB38X Memory Card Reader Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: jmcr.sys (JMicron JMB38X Memory Card Reader Driver, JMicron Technology Corp.).
Google query: jmcr.sys JMicron Technology Corp. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Mon 18/04/2011 12:16:04 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x16, 0x1B, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF820C07D6)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: jmcr.sys (JMicron JMB38X Memory Card Reader Driver, JMicron Technology Corp.).

On Sun 17/04/2011 6:20:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini041711-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x16, 0x1B, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF820AE7D6)

On Sun 17/04/2011 6:09:29 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini041711-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x16, 0x1B, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF820C67D6)

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 4 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

jmcr.sys (JMicron JMB38X Memory Card Reader Driver, JMicron Technology Corp.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

#10 lamaroo

lamaroo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

I went to the JMicron website and updated the driver and I am not getting the BSOD anymore when I put the card in however it is not reading it either.

EDIT: I restarted the computer and it works fine now, Thank you ZTruker and Nahumi for the help!

Edited by lamaroo, 19 April 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#11 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:59 PM

Good job, glad you got it fixed.

Rich