Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93090 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

aero effects

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

I have been trying to use Aero Snap on my pc. I get the two screens up okay, but when I close them and go to use another programme everything is overlarge. IE especially. There is only about 1/4 of the page on screen and the writing is massive. The only way I can get it back to normal is to do a system restore. I found this in an article: 'To enable Aero (or check your ability to run it), go to Control Panel/System & Security/System and run or refresh the Experience Index. Then choose Advanced system settings/Advanced/Performance settings to see what Aero effects are enabled for your system. If not all effects are enabled, click Custom and check the additional effects you want to use. If these effects perform poorly, you can always go to the same settings to disable them.' On doing this 'aero peek' and 'enable transparent glass' are the only references I can find to aero. On clicking custom there is still the same list with the same items listed. No reference to aero snap, aero shake, although aero shake seems to be enabled somewhere as it works. Aeroflip also seems to work. In the same article it says that windows experience index has to be at least 3. Mine is 3.3, 4gb of memory (3.12 gb usuable). Is there anywhere else I can check on aero snap to see if it enabled? Thanks for reading and inadvance for any help offered. hedley

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hello hedley,

This is probably what you're looking for :
http://windows.micro...s/features/snap

The "snap" feature is something for Windows 7, as is the "shake" feature.

Windows Aero is a theme name given to the transparent window look. The only Aero specific feature is Aero Peek, all the others are not Aero specific.

This means that you could have the "Windows 7 Basic" interface and still use the "snap" and "shake" features.

I hope that helps a little,
Cheers,
Nahumi
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

To enable or disable Aero Snap, see here: Aero Snap - Turn On or Off

What happens if instead of closing the snapped window, you drag it back away from the edge so it reverts to it's normal size, then close it?

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. Nahumi, that article was very helpful and I checked through all of it. Ztrucker, seems to work ok doing as you suggested. I tried with IE and two disk drives. Everything seems to be back to normal including IE. Thanks for the help & advice, appreciated, as always. hedley

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

You should not have to do that though (drag the window so it reverts to normal size first). At least on my Win 7 Pro X64 system I can close the windows while snapped to either side then when I open them again all is well. There must be something else happening here though I don't have a clue what it is or where to start looking for a solution. On test you could make would be to create a new account and try it there, see what happens. If it works okay then try changing the Theme on you normal account and test again, see what happens. Delete the test account when done with it.

Rich

#6 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:41 AM

H'mm, just tried it again. Once with this webpage and my email prog, then with IE and a disk drive. Closed all of them as they were and everything was ok. Perhaps it was one of those 3 nights of MS updates that I got made it work! By the way, I am using windows 7 theme. Never changed it. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated, as always. hedley

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

There are lots and lots of Win 7 Themes available. I've got 42 and change mine at least once a week. The Bing themes are spectacular!

You can get them by clicking on Get more themes online just above the Aero Themes in the Personalization window.

Rich